right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Honor's college essay mistake-embarrasing!

2»

Replies to: Honor's college essay mistake-embarrasing!

• jorangerjoranger 14 replies8 threads Junior Member
    I'll let all of you know if he gets in!
    · Reply · Share
  • NJProParentNJProParent 226 replies12 threads Junior Member
    Hope he get's in (typo intended, lol ... sorry). With our reliance on spell check, I can see how something like that can slip past the final review. And thank you @rebeccar for the link to "Clam Farts" - I was a first timer reading that. True story or not, that thread sure made me laugh.
    · Reply · Share
  • DmitriRDmitriR 838 replies0 threads Member
    Honestly, I have a hard time believing that actual humans read every word of those essays. I think that if it was, like, a *lot* of typos or if it was something egregious like leaving, "I would like to attend Harvard because..." in your copy-pasted essay for Stanford, then that would be a reason to be concerned. But to my knowledge they are looking for professionalism in terms of the construction but more importantly the student's voice and what they can contribute. A single typo shouldn't change anything.
    · Reply · Share
  • green678green678 608 replies10 threads Member
    An admissions officer from a top-10 college who spoke at my D's high school said not to worry if there is a typo.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 11747 replies81 threads Senior Member
    It should be a" tight-knit group of individuals" not a "group of tight-knit individuals."
    (What is a "tight-knit individual": someone wrapped too tight?!)
    · Reply · Share
  • saintfansaintfan 8182 replies92 threads Senior Member
    That gave me a good morning chuckle
    · Reply · Share
  • saintfansaintfan 8182 replies92 threads Senior Member
    DS was hammering out some supplement short answer questions at 11:45 last night and there's no way I'm going back in the cold light of day to proof read. Let sleeping dogs lie . . . what's done is done.
    · Reply · Share
  • SnowmeSnowme 316 replies31 threads Member
    The submit button was hit early here -- 11:35PM. Afterwards I noticed a problem with verb tense in D's common app essay. Oh well. This was in a section that hadn't changed in days, and even her teacher missed it. I think I'll stay quiet about it at least until she catches up on her sleep.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity