Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The little things that moved a school from the bottom to the top of your's or your child's list.

Newsie2015Newsie2015 Registered User Posts: 521 Member
UM replaced UGA on my list because of weather.

(though it is debatable about weather being considered a little or a big decision factor)

Replies to: The little things that moved a school from the bottom to the top of your's or your child's list.

• LBad96LBad96 Registered User Posts: 3,499 Senior Member
  • Newsie2015Newsie2015 Registered User Posts: 521 Member
    @Ibad96 University of Miami
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Scholarship money
  • SweetbeetSweetbeet Registered User Posts: 595 Member
    Getting in + money.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,877 Senior Member
    My kid was swayed by the "homemade" (made by students) chemical light sabers demonstrated by current students at night during her accepted student visit to the school she ended up attending. :)
  • preamble1776preamble1776 Registered User Posts: 4,731 Senior Member
    A full scholarship. I had initially believed that I wouldn't receive any aid whatsoever because of my EFC. I was unaware of their merit scholarships prior to being notified of the award.
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom Registered User Posts: 8,892 Senior Member
    Interesting question. It seems like most things that would sway decision would be a "big factor"... unless all other things equal.
  • preamble1776preamble1776 Registered User Posts: 4,731 Senior Member
    Yeah. I take my answer back. A full scholarship (or any significant amount of grant money) isn't really a "little thing."

I applied to a safety in North Carolina and I was admitted with significant merit aid (which I anticipated) - but they actually had a U.S. Representative from N.C. send me a letter urging me to attend - he was an alum himself (and I was a prospective Political Science major). I thought that was really cool. The letter and envelope had the fancy Congressional seal and everything. I still have it even though I decided not to attend.
  • mommyrocksmommyrocks Registered User Posts: 1,218 Senior Member
    Well, all offers are not in for my DD yet, but the university that has risen to the top right now has offered almost a full ride, with only a 2.0 GPA required to renew most of the scholarship $ and a 3.0 for the rest, plus the location and university offer the extracurricular activities and electives she dreams of having, that are hard to find at most universities. Plus transportation costs (by air) are cheaper and more direct than almost all the other universities she applied to. Everywhere she applied has the right major(s) of course, so it's these other things that are making this university the most appealing so far.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,825 Senior Member
    Her list was one college, so there wasn't much movement. However, little things like a woman's club hockey team, swing dancing, a department merit scholarship, an invitation by the director (and department head) to watch a rehearsal during a campus visit, horseback riding, actually enjoying the football game on a visit all contributed to her loving the school even more and not looking for another. The people are just genuinely nice and have help solve any problem with paperwork, weather delays, roommate assignments, etc.
  • Mom2aphysicsgeekMom2aphysicsgeek Registered User Posts: 4,499 Senior Member
    If didn't move the school from the bottom to the top of the list BC we couldn't afford it he school,even after a hefty scholarship offer (well, compared to full-ride, financially it had to be eliminated$, but in one of his acceptance packages there was a very nice note from an admissions officer telling him how much he had enjoyed one of his essays and referenced part of the research Ds had completed. If all things had been equal financially at that point, that note might have tipped the scales for ds.
  • MomzieMomzie Registered User Posts: 846 Member
    Financial aid can be used for study abroad. Paris here she comes!
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,899 Forum Champion
    The campus, the merit, the atmosphere....

BTW...there is no such word as "your's". The phrase should be: top of your or your child's list.
This discussion has been closed.