Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Case Western vs University of Rochester for engineering

mma396mma396 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
What are some of the pros and cons of these two schools. S is looking into biomedical focus. Thanks

Replies to: Case Western vs University of Rochester for engineering

• 4kidsdad4kidsdad Registered User Posts: 4,602 Senior Member
    They both are good.
  • eyemamomeyemamom Registered User Posts: 5,402 Senior Member
    One has a more urban campus, the other more suburban, but in my opinion, and granted I have a son at one of them, but toured both, it would just be personal preference, I see them as "sister" schools.
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    I agree that it's a personal preference. Case is more urban. UR, while in Rochester, has much more of a "campus" feel. My guy preferred the latter and is happily there. Your student might prefer the former. I know students who have gone to Case and enjoyed it.
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 57,349 Senior Member
    see if one has better success with job placement. I am guessing Case might.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 12,653 Senior Member
    See which one costs more after fin aid and merit money.
  • saintfansaintfan Registered User Posts: 8,274 Senior Member
    This is second party, but a good friend whose D is at Case (seems to be very happy otherwise from what I can tell) has had a very underwhelming experience with the coop office. She has not found them to be helpful at all and my understanding is that they feel like the coop program was oversold.
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,285 Senior Member
    If one's looking into a biomedical focus, Case has a slight edge in perceived reputation among many I know in the biomedical field. However, it's close enough that one can't go wrong with either.
  • IowaParent15IowaParent15 Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    I would look at Rensselaer (RPI) for BME if I my son was in that area.
  • mma396mma396 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Does anyone have knowledge of research and internship opportunities at either of these schools? I have to assume coop is not big based on the response but I think good internships or research work is a close second. Thanks
  • MidwestDad3MidwestDad3 Registered User Posts: 2,186 Senior Member
    Have spent a lot of time at both of these schools, though not in engineering. Both are outstanding. Case has more in the way of arts (world class art museum, symphony) directly adjacent to campus. Rochester has its draws as well, but they are a bit further off campus. If possible, visit both campuses and talk directly with faculty members about research opportunities. They are 4 hours apart, door to door (I've done the drive many times).
  • mamabear1234mamabear1234 Registered User Posts: 3,524 Senior Member
    There will be lots of research going on at both, a student may need to ask a professor to do research with him/her. Both are adjacent to large hospitals. My experience at Case Western RESERVE U was in the early 80's, but co-op was possible even then although very few of us took advantage of it. When only a few are on the program, most peers will graduate a year earlier, which makes for a lonely senior year. Many of my friends back then did research with professors. I know one student there currently who did research in Switzerland over a summer. From reading my alumni magazine I see there seem to be more hands-on engineering opportunities for first and second year students than when I attended. There are plenty if opportunities, the student may need to be proactive to seek them out.
  • cobratcobrat Registered User Posts: 12,285 Senior Member
    Case has more in the way of arts (world class art museum, symphony) directly adjacent to campus. Rochester has its draws as well, but they are a bit further off campus.

URochester is close to the Eastman Conservatory of music, one of the top conservatories in the US up there with the likes of Peabody, Curtis, Oberlin, and the NEC. I don't know about the arts, but from knowing a few relatives and a lot more friends who attended URochester for engineering or conservatory(some at the doctorate level), they're certainly not lacking in access to the performing arts in the music area compared to Case.

• MidwestDad3MidwestDad3 Registered User Posts: 2,186 Senior Member
    @cobrat Yup, Eastman has fabulous concerts, but they are a mile or two away from campus. Otherwise, Rochester doesn't quite have the arts scene that Cleveland does. My impression from recent visits to both cities is that Cleveland is experiencing a resurgence, whereas Rochester is still feeling the pain of recent corporate closures and downsizing. That said, U of R remains very healthy. I think they are now the largest employer in Rochester.
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    Case Western is well know for great Merit awards. I do not know anything about Rochester.
    Young people like it in Cleveland, lots of musical / social / fairs events, great places to eat, lots of nice little neighborhoods around the city, very close to campus.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,315 Senior Member
    Either one. They are both superior STEM universities.
This discussion has been closed.