right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

My 11th grade son

13»

Replies to: My 11th grade son

• compmomcompmom 10576 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,652 Senior Member
    The initial post was so general and open-ended that I don't think it is clear at all what was meant.

It is most certainly not too late. Feb. vacation is a great time to visit schools mainly because students aren't on campus in the summer, and fall gets busy.

· Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 8817 replies78 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,895 Senior Member
    For those considering spring break college tours, go online to check about the college break schedule. It is usually more interesting to visit when school is in session. I found "academic calendar" is helpful search term when checking.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 83911 replies1003 discussionsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,914 Forum Champion
    I would NOT advise avoiding this site. Yes, there are some super-stars here, but even those with "somewhat average" kids can learn a lot here....even if it's just finding out that some desirable schools will be too much of a reach.

You'll want to identify some admissions&financial safeties....schools that you know FOR SURE will be affordable and will accept your child.

@saintfan is right that some of us frequently remind people that many schools have Nov and early Dec deadlines for merit scholarship consideration. (and every New Year timeframe we see posts from kids realizing that they desperately need large merit....and it's often too late.

If you're married, discuss with your spouse how much you can realistically contribute each year....and share that with your child.

If your child's parent lives elsewhere, find out if that parent will help pay for college.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys 16612 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,678 Senior Member
    It is not to late. Parents should run some net price calculators and have an understanding if they are full pay or not. Parents can also figure out how much they are willing to pay. Kids can take a look-see to nearby colleges small and big and figure out which they prefer. Kids should take the ACT or SAT or both depending on area of country. Kids should make sure they are on schedule with a college prep curriculum and make any adjustments needed for senior year. Kids should be setting their own alarm and getting themselves out the door and should be managing their homework and study time between now and senior year if they don't do this already. If kids want to play a sport in college they should make their coaches aware if they aren't already aware. Even Div 3 coaches will be all over the kids in the coming months.
    · Reply · Share
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom 8817 replies78 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,895 Senior Member
    " Parents should run some net price calculators and have an understanding if they are full pay or not." - YES. I'm not sure that hs GC emphasize that enough.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity