right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Letters of Rec without signed and sealed envelope?

SighaaSighaa 17 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 25 New Member
Because of Naviance, I have to send in my letters of rec through mail, rather than electronically. However, one of the teachers who wrote a letter of recommendation is out of town, and has been for a while (which is why this hasn't been resolved sooner). He has scanned and emailed me the letter/common app form with the expectation that I will print out 8 copies and mail them myself, which is fine with me but it means that the envelopes won't have been signed/sealed by the teacher. Is this okay?
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Letters of Rec without signed and sealed envelope?

• happymomof1happymomof1 29305 replies169 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 29,474 Senior Member
    Can this wait until school starts again? If so, perhaps someone in the school's guidance office could take care of it for you.

Alternately, why don't you just send the addresses to the teacher and offer to reimburse the postage?
    · Reply · Share
  • SighaaSighaa 17 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 25 New Member
    I'd rather not wait; they will arrive after the deadline already. And the teacher in question is on a break year - he'll be in NZ for the next couple months, with no access to postage
    · Reply · Share
  • prospect1prospect1 1391 replies41 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,432 Senior Member
    Can you ask the teacher if it is OK for you to put his return address on the envelope? I think the letters will be much stronger if they clearly were came from him. Of course, I would not do this without his express (confirmed in writing) permission.
    · Reply · Share
    I can ask him that :) I assume an email confirmation is good enough
    · Reply · Share
  • sybbie719sybbie719 20644 replies1977 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 22,621 Super Moderator
    I'd rather not wait; they will arrive after the deadline already. And the teacher in question is on a break year - he'll be in NZ for the next couple months, with no access to postage

This deadline is for you to get your stuff submitted, it is not for your teacher's deadline.

Wait until school opens back up, talk to your counselor, who will either

Mail the letter for you in a school envelope and put the school seal on the back of the envelope

Have you email the letter to him/her, so that they can upload the letter or electronically send the letter to the colleges
    · Reply · Share
    It's okay if the letters arrive so long after the deadline? School opens back up on January 5th
    · Reply · Share
  • sybbie719sybbie719 20644 replies1977 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 22,621 Super Moderator
    Yes, your GC can send the letters 1/5/2015 and it will be fine. If you are applying RD, the school will ask for a mid year report, which your school cannot even send until the semester is over.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity