Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What to do: Disappointing first semester

Replies to: What to do: Disappointing first semester

• MichiganGeorgiaMichiganGeorgia Registered User Posts: 4,472 Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Your son brought his grades up that is great! My son is in engineering major too and it's HARD. Homework and projects are always easier grade wise than the tests that he has plus there is more time to figure it out... Usually they bring his grade up. And just because he gets A's on the homework and projects doesn't mean he can get a A on all the tests..You can't really compare the two.
  • YoHoYoHoYoHoYoHo Registered User Posts: 2,001 Senior Member
    @runningmom2,
    I haven't read all of the posts, so I apologize if this is a repeat on what has been said.

So your DS got a 3.0 the second semester of frosh year, a 2.0 for first semester of frosh year and now has a 2.5 cumulative GPA, right? Sounds like he's slowly course correcting and that sounds fantastic!!

Since he is going the right direction, you might want to just let him take care of everything. You can provide support and maybe organizational tips, but this is his thing to do, including if he should continue in the major. Just make sure that is not partying and socializing too much. I've told my kiddos that it would be easy to socialize and party 100% of the time in college, because there is always someone around to hang with (this is spoken from direct experience from my college days.) So one of the hardest things to learn is how to pull yourself away and really carve out time for studying.
  • LizardlyLizardly Registered User Posts: 2,495 Senior Member
    Glad he is doing better. Figuring out what is going wrong is the first step.

Can he take more project based classes? Even in his engineering classes? Can he forego some AP credit and take classes a step back from where he tests? Did placement get him into trouble to start with? Like did he take that 5 in AP Calc and let himself be placed in a more advanced math class? That could have been part of his problem if so. Maybe he had a hole in his preparation. Would it make sense to take something at a CC over the summer to buttress his prep? Or even to take a course at CC to help his GPA, to get some grade point killing course done at CC?

• Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    @runningmom2 First, I sounds like you did a good job in a difficult parenting situation. It also sounds like your son took the path to improvement instead of dropping for an easier major, which is to be commended. That shows a lot of resilience that many do not have. going from a 2.0 in one semester to a 3.0 the next is a big improvement.

I would just keep moving forward. If he is motivated to further improve his gpa, consider having him take 4 classes instead of 5 for a semester. That can have a significant impact. Also, see what he can do to get his fall books and course information in advance. Getting a head start over the summer can really be helpful in the fall.
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,790 Senior Member
    edited May 2015
    Congrats OP!

MY parenting an engineering student journey;
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1263136-parents-of-engineering-freshman-p1.html

But first there was this..
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/716335-32-as-and-14-fs-equals-a-c-in-geometry-p4.html

Spoiler alert; my son graduated earlier this month. :D
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    There are only 3 options that I see:
    1. "Live" with the lower GPA
    2. quit
    3. adjust to a higher college standard
    I am not sure at all if any talk will be helpful. Basically, it is up to a young man to decide what route he wants to pursue at this point.
    you asked for opinions....as suitable or not to your situation, this is my opinion.
  • ItsJustSchoolItsJustSchool Registered User Posts: 1,974 Senior Member
    @Shrinkrap, I HOPE I am 2 years behind you (as in, I hope "we" stay on the rails through to graduation date). Congratulations on your son's admittance to his "Reach" school, his perseverance in sticking with his major, and his graduation in 4 years (plus a summer here and there)! You can be justifiably proud! Each of those three events separately is an achievement for any student, much less one with learning differences. BRAVA!
  • runningmom2runningmom2 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    @Shrinkrap -- Thank you so much for posting the link to your thread. That's incredibly encouraging to hear about someone pushing through and getting to graduation day. Here's hoping we and @ItsJustSchool get there as well ... onward and upward!
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Also remember that gpas are generally lower for engineering students, so a 3.0 this semester may be around the midpoint. I would want to know what the average is for his school.
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang Registered User Posts: 18,314 Senior Member
    When comparing a student's GPA to other engineering students' GPAs, it's useful to know what the graduation rate is for engineering students. It's no good to say, "My GPA is 2.9, but no problem, the median engineering GPA at my school is 2.9, half of engineering students have a lower GPA than me" if half the engineering students don't graduate. If you want to graduate, compare your GPA to other engineering students who will graduate.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,663 Senior Member
    Usually, just a 2.0 GPA will graduate. But it may be significantly more difficult for a just barely over 2.0 GPA student to find the first job at graduation than for student whose GPA is comfortably over 3.0. Some employers use a GPA cutoff (apparently most commonly 3.0) to screen applicants, and low GPA applicants may be less likely to answer technical questions in interviews well.
  • Cardinal FangCardinal Fang Registered User Posts: 18,314 Senior Member
    The key question is not whether at 2.0 can graduate, but whether a 2.0 *does* graduate.
  • DrGoogleDrGoogle Registered User Posts: 11,047 Senior Member
    I'm not sure I understand either, why not?
  • albert69albert69 Registered User Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    This thread is scaring me, especially the talk about freshman Chemistry. It certainly seems like a weeder course. I'm going to start studying that soon over the summer so I can come in prepared. Best wishes for your son, OP.
  • DrGoogleDrGoogle Registered User Posts: 11,047 Senior Member
    Post 134, Chemistry is not hard. Most kids have problem with Physics.
This discussion has been closed.