Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What's the criteria for "first generation college" as a hook?

2»

Replies to: What's the criteria for "first generation college" as a hook?

• younghossyounghoss Registered User Posts: 3,182 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    you keep going back to exact questions on the common app, irlandaise, and you need to see it is as relevant as the price of gasoline to my response. Is the common app the only college app? Did the OP ask about the common app? I didn't see that in post 1. I read post 1, I re-read post 1. I still don't see it.
    The OP asked about defining "the first generation in your family to go to college". I gave my opinion on defining it, and gave a hypothetical to support my definition. If the OP had asked: "what does the common app mean when it asks..." I might have answered differently. If the OP had asked the price of gas in my region, I might have answered differently. In my hypothetical, I said if ONJ was asked... I made no mention of actual questions on the common app. I answered with my opinion about the question asked, no more, no less. If, how, when, why, to apply it can be very different than merely defining it.

An example also demonstrates that asking about parents' level of education does NOT determine "first generation of college.." but it does answer parents' level of education.
    What exact question is used on the common app, or any other college app isn't what I addressed because it isn't what the Op asked.

And yes, Max attended more than 1 college, earned a PhD and won Nobel prize in Physics. If I were his grandchild I might honestly answer that my parents did not graduate college- but I could not answer that I was the first generation in my family to attend college. Certainly the answer one gives depends on the question asked.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,532 Senior Member
    ^the reason the commonapp is mentioned is that the colleges where it is a specific hook that can be as big as being a legacy are common app colleges; at these colleges, the definition used is "neither parent got a 4-year degree".
    The definition is wider at colleges where the large number of applicants don't have parents with a 4-year degree. However there's no question about being first gen - students must list their parents' education and colleges can then decide what to do with the information.
  • sjillian15sjillian15 Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    edited January 2015
    My friend will attend Williams and his hook was that he is first generation. He wrote about it in his common app essay and under the parents' education section, he specified that they did not attend college (not even comm.college). To the OP's question, I guess it could be a don't ask-don't tell situation if a grandparent has a college degree, best left up to ethics.
This discussion has been closed.