Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Community college alternatives

2»

Replies to: Community college alternatives

• PackMomPackMom Registered User Posts: 7,667 Senior Member
    How about University of North Georgia ?
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 8,716 Senior Member
    If you truly think she has a learning issue, I don't think sending her away to school will help. She struggled through high school while living at home, right? It would be different, I think, if you already had a diagnosis and she knew what she needed and could advocate for herself. I'd get her tested and encourage her to start college close to home so you can help her build the skills and confidence she needs to succeed someplace else. If she hasn't been successful at home, it's not surprising she'd like to go elsewhere.

I also understand her reluctance to attend what she feels are "stupid people" schools. I disagree that's what cc's are, but I know it's tough to convince teens of that. I don't think that changing locations corrects learning issues in and of itself. In my experience, remediation leads to confidence which helps build maturity. If you believe there's a learning challenge, I'd pursue that first and decide what to do about college later.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 10,648 Senior Member
    She could try National Outdoor Leadership School if she is interested in the environment and teaching.
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,905 Senior Member
    There may be out-of-state options at a range of price points. Montana State has a community-college-to-university enrollment program where students live in a dorm on campus. It is strong in environmental science and education. Total COA would be around $30k.

You might also look at Northland College in Wisconsin, a tiny school mainly focused on environmental studies, but also offering an education major. This is the kind of teensy LAC (~600 students) where every single kid will get personal attention. It's a quiet small-town location. That sort of school is often a safe place for a less mature student to grow up a little. There's a lot of cushion if they fall down, and not a whole lot of temptations. With OK test scores, she had a good chance of getting in as long as she passes all her required courses.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,570 Senior Member
    College of the Atlantic may be another alternative for someone interested in environmental issues - it's very small and there's a lot of attention to individual students, very supportive, and far away from many temptations. All students major in Human Ecology, which can easily lead to a one-year professional Master's in Elementary Education.
This discussion has been closed.