Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen?

Replies to: Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen?

• henry1984henry1984 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Make sure you book a room in advance for Move In Day. I didn't book a hotel room last year in time for my daughters move in day and couldn't get a room! The rooms fill up fast so get one while you can. Here's the website I used this year to book one for this year. https://www.alltherooms.com/HS
  • Tperry1982Tperry1982 Forum Champion Yale Posts: 1,574 Forum Champion
    I would suggest to parents that you use Dorm Room Movers. Look back through my posts for info on them. Storage areas are great. But unlike the move in for freshman, there will be no one around to help with move out and then move in sophomore year. DRM will come pick up your items, store them for the summer and bring them back to your new room in the fall. They take anything. You pay by the box, or item. They have a price list. I have used them each year since my D has been there. I may actually have them do some of the shipping of items after she graduates in May. I have been really spoiled with them.
  • SMMom1SMMom1 College Rep Posts: 111 Junior Member
    I agree. The health insurance thing is a total hassle. They require a ton of documentation even if your child is still covered by your plan.
  • biscuitheadbiscuithead Registered User Posts: 19 Junior Member
    Excellent advice @henry1984. I would have never thought of that.
  • Merle123Merle123 Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    Earplugs for those nights when there is noise/roommate snoring
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma Registered User Posts: 579 Member
    @Merle123 , we got dd noice cancelling headphones for the same reason. And snoring in college is any time of day if a roommate likes to nap!
  • mouva890mouva890 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Totally agree with the earplugs and noise cancelling headphones. They were a saving grace for me when my two roommates snored constantly last year.
  • PianoDadPianoDad Registered User Posts: 21 Junior Member
    Earplugs are ok but I bought my D one of those fans with a bunch of “noise cancelling” sounds (rain, waves, etc.) and she loves it. Uses it every night and doesn’t complain about any residual hallway noise anymore...
  • SFCA2018SFCA2018 Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    How about laptop security .. do kids lock-down their electronics while left in their dorm room?
  • WhistlingalWhistlingal Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    spoke to S about noise cancelling headphones after a conversation about a snoring roomie on camp. He says he'd be worried that he'd sleep through his alarm!!
    Any thoughts on that?
  • kcheveskcheves Registered User Posts: 315 Member
    If he has an Apple Watch (or I'm sure other fitness trackers) he can set a vibrating alarm
  • WhistlingalWhistlingal Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    @kcheves Apple watch! In his dreams!