Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen?

Replies to: Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen?

• 1399HdJ1399HdJ Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    The Container Store has a coupon you can get online for 20% off starting in July - click on the "College" section and a box will pop up where you can sign up to receive it.
  • mom of cs kidmom of cs kid Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    I wondered how they print things? Does every student bring a printer??
  • NJCornellMomNJCornellMom Registered User Posts: 246 Junior Member
    I bought an all-in-one that my older child took to Cornell. They found little need for it (printed in an office where he worked) and passed it off to the younger one for use at Rutgers. Rutgers gives a printing allowance for each term (there are printers in many locations). It's a huge allowance. Hard to imagine using all of it. Still, it was convenient to have it there for last minute printing. You could ask in a forum specific to your child's school. My guess is the need is very limited.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 5,489 Senior Member
    @momofcskid - My daughter hasn't printed anything - everything is electronically submitted. Plus if students do bring their own printers they need to be hardwired because there is too much interference with the wifi signals.
  • MeddyMeddy Registered User Posts: 481 Member
    My girl who attends Amherst College mentioned several locations on campus where students are able to print for free and that they can also print at the library for a fee.
    I also recall that at Move in Day one of the AO's mentioned that their office offered free printing and free coffee and even though students might think they didn't need them anymore, that they still wanted to see their faces. :D
  • elena13elena13 Registered User Posts: 800 Member
    My D's college has printers in the dorms and other locations and each student gets a certain amount of free printing per year or semester.
  • annamomannamom Registered User Posts: 1,449 Senior Member
    Both of my DDs brought printers to college. So far they only printed to their own printers as it is easier. Their roommates also DDs' printers as it is convenient. Both printers are all-in-one, they can scan and copy which came in handy. The printers and ink are cheap, I forgot how much they were but I think they both were under $50 each.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 11,186 Senior Member
    My S and roommate have one printer in their room, I don't know how much they use it. They have to use a printer cable though, not allowed to use wifi capability.
  • mom of cs kidmom of cs kid Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Thank you everyone!
  • RinahenRinahen Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I've always heard to send the kids with rolls of quarters for use at the laundry!!! Great ideas everyone!
  • mardongmardong Registered User Posts: 121 Junior Member
    @Rinahen, My son pays for laundry with his school ID that doubles as a debit card for funds deposited on his school account. He does not need quarters, since it is actually cheaper per load if he pays with the card.
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 3,340 Senior Member
    My son's school fees include laundry. There's even an app to tell you when your machine is done.

My kids' schools gave them a printer allowance each semester, tracked on their ID card. With my D, it was about 500 pages per semester. She began college 10 years ago. My S17 has a smaller allowance but he is also able to submit more of his work online. He also has friends with printers.
  • MeddyMeddy Registered User Posts: 481 Member
    Ditto on the ID. No quarters needed. I'm wondering how long my daughter would be staring at the coin operated washer if she had to place the coins standing sideways like on the machine I used back in college :))