Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen?

1222324252628»

Replies to: Checklist for Parents of Incoming Freshmen?

• mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 11,165 Senior Member
    Both my kids' schools required immunization records to be sent before orientation.

They also had to do required online modules (alcohol education and others) and placement tests.

If you want student to be vaccinated with Meningitis B shot, they should get the first dose soon.
  • WylieAWylieA Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    This is a great topic. Thanks to OP for posting.

I cannot wrap my head around the fact that my last kid, born 18 years after the middle child, is going away to college.

Not sure I can handle this!!!!

So any guidelines are appreciated.

I am going to freak out. Now wishing we were just doing junior college nearby.

Good tip about booking hotel rooms in advance. I need to get cracking.

And the whole cc situation. Heaven help us.
  • WylieAWylieA Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Sorry, new to this site and just realized I responded to something from 2015.
  • StPaulDadStPaulDad Registered User Posts: 335 Member
    Not much has changed, so it's still a good read and worth being pinned for posterity.

That said, there have been some innovations since this thread was started. For example there are these new things called "smart phones" that some kids find helpful... 😉
  • mgreenbergmgreenberg Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments. I did not grow up in America and I do not completely know how college works re parent involvement. I do not want to be overbearing on my daughter and hope to give her her own space, but I don't want to make her feel alone! Hopefully she will visit home.
  • MeddyMeddy Registered User Posts: 474 Member
    @mgreenberg You sound like you will do just fine as a college parent! :)
  • momtwinmomtwin Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    @snovak968 My daughter has a TON of clothes etc. What was the approx. cost to you? She goes to school in Los Angeles, not sure if that matters. Thanks!

• DigitalDadDigitalDad Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    Wait for the school's updated checklist before buying a printer. Some schools (e.g., Barnard) do NOT allow them in the freshman dorms - there are even rules on what kind of extension cord is acceptable when they do their walk-through inspection!
    My daughter does much of her work at the various Columbia and Barnard libraries, where printers would be everywhere - rather than sitting locked away in her room. And, even more so than at High School, many professors don't even want to deal with "paper" papers.
    Facit: She's never mentioned wishing she had her own printer (unless it produced legal tender).
  • MeddyMeddy Registered User Posts: 474 Member
    I agree with @DigitalDad It's fine to wait and see. I know at Amherst College printing has not been an issue for my girl. In fact, in certain buildings it was made completely free for all students this semester.