right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

New roommate wants "deep cleaning" of room every week

Replies to: New roommate wants "deep cleaning" of room every week

• DrGoogleDrGoogle 11022 replies24 threads Senior Member
    I thought if you are living in a dorm there is general cleaning from the university. So what kind of cleaning is this?
    · Reply · Share
  • 1or2Musicians1or2Musicians 1374 replies0 threads Senior Member
    No, the university does not typically clean dorm rooms at all. As I mentioned my son's school has staff clean the suite bathrooms but that is unusual. And I assume there's no tidying involved in that, just cleaning the sink, toilet, and tub.
    · Reply · Share
  • CorinthianCorinthian 1823 replies63 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    @dustypig am I right in thinking your D is at Scripps? I know that part of their Orientation Schedule was to draw up a roommate contract last night. My D is at Pomona and they did the same thing. D's room is incredibly small and it's in both of their interests to keep their stuff from getting out of control. Anyway, my point is that I don't think this came out of nowhere from the roommate. It's also probably a good first experience in negotiation and compromise. (Scripps is a great school. Love the 5C's!)
    PS: The (Gender Inclusive) restrooms and showers at my D's dorm are in the hallway so no need for my D to worry about cleaning the sink.
    edited August 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 78498 replies3537 threads Senior Member
    @DrGoogle at most colleges, the cleaning of what is in your dorm room is totally up to the occupants. The housekeeping staff cleans only the common areas...not the rooms.

However...I believe ther was a thread on this forum about places where folks hired cleaning services for dorm rooms.

Back in the dark ages...when I was a freshman...the housekeeping staff did vacuum the dorm room floors once weekly. But not if there was ANYTHING piled on the floors. We also got clean sheets weekly, provided by the,school...but only if we stripped the old ones off and left them piled on the bed for housekeeping to take away. The school doesn't do that any more!
    · Reply · Share
  • PickOne1PickOne1 704 replies0 threads Member
    edited August 2015
    At home she had her own room and her mom thought she was a bit of a slob with unmade bed and stuff on the floor. After 3 days in a dorm, do you think she is making her bed or picking up her things?

Other than the deep cleaning stuff, I think roommate is being somewhat reasonable. She probably should be wiping the windows herself, although if your daughter puts a big palm print on the window, she could wipe it off.

If your daughter can't keep what is now a common area cleaner, she will have to find a fellow slob and they can leave stuff all over the floor together. In a 10x10 room, this will quickly become hideous.

personally, I am hoping my D has to fix her ways.

This is not much different from sharing an office or sharing a home. It is inconsiderate to make people step over your stuf or look at your suff or deal with your stuff at all if there are drawers and desks to put things away.

If she likes this girl, she needs to stress a little less and clean up.

The good news is that a 5x10 area is not a lot of cleaning, so this is a few minutes a day and maybe 30 minutes on the weekend.
    edited August 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • GoldenwillowGoldenwillow 28 replies4 threads Junior Member
    I just send one of those cheap $30 vacuums and they do the trick. Last year my daughter's vacuum was the whole suites vacuum...
    · Reply · Share
  • YnotgoYnotgo 3881 replies58 threads Senior Member
    I'm on the "washing windows every week is weird" and "it's my desk, darn it" side. But, I did learn in college that I'm much less likely to crawl back in bed after a shower if the comforter is pulled up. Could be useful info in case of any 8 am or 9 am classes.
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 10381 replies73 threads Senior Member
    @dustypig, are there any single rooms available?
    · Reply · Share
  • redpoodlesredpoodles 2078 replies32 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2015
    Ha ha, I know of a girl who was assigned a single because she put herself in the "total slob" category and they couldn't find anyone else who wanted to be in that category..... Most people probably choose something in the middle--the land of compromise on what exactly "neat and clean" or "sort of messy" means....
    edited August 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • HRSMomHRSMom 4605 replies50 threads Senior Member
    "Deep cleaning" is probably what the roommate's family called their weekly cleanings.

I say changing sheets is also RM's business. Those things get covered in dead skin (dust) and start to smell in a small room after a few weeks...

The windows? That is silly!
    · Reply · Share
    Sheets will eventually start to smell, true. But it takes a lot longer than a week in most cases. Until it gets to that point it's not the roommate's business.
    · Reply · Share
  • Lady LornaLady Lorna 151 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Most of the roommate's requests seem reasonable to me, although it sounds as though they may have been expressed awkwardly. (I do think asking the OP's daughter to wash her sheets once a week is a bit much.) Some posters have been using the term OCD in a descriptive way, but I would like to suggest that if the roommate does in fact suffer from OCD, the stress associated with moving into a new phase of her life may have triggered an upswing in her behaviors. A little compassion and patience on the part of the OP's daughter may go a long way. I would suspect that as the roommate becomes more comfortable in her new environment, she will also become more relaxed in her expectations.

As an aside, I am surprised that the two girls were placed together to begin with. I know my D had to fill out a form that included, among other things, placing her room at home on a scale that ran from pristine to slovenly. As it turns out, all the young women in her suite keep to the same level of housekeeping, so the self-evaluation must have been taken seriously!
    · Reply · Share
  • mathyonemathyone 4193 replies34 threads Senior Member
    I think cleaning the bathroom sink and mirror regularly has to be done. Keeping the floor reasonably clear and cleaning it regularly also needs to be done, especially if you don't remove shoes (kind of gross in my opinion). If you do, I doubt it's necessary to clean it every week. Cleaning the windows in a dorm is something I never heard of and seems totally out of line to expect someone else to do that every week. I would invite her to keep the windows to her specifications. As far as the sheets and desk go, that is none of her business unless it involves food or begins to smell or something. She may just have to get used to the fact that some people in the world aren't sleeping on sheets as clean as she would like or having desks as tidy as hers. Maybe she should get out more often. Making the bed, also in my opinion none of her business, but I would do it in case it gets used as a sofa and because it will smooth tensions.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 23510 replies308 threads Senior Member
    When you live with someone, it is best to try to compromise. Little bit of consideration can go a long way.
    · Reply · Share
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl 40174 replies320 threads Senior Member
    "Well, if not making my bed is piggish, then OINK OINK.

I didn't know a single person in my dorm building who made his or her bed."

Yes, everyone was just too busy thinking intellectual thoughts I'm sure

There's no virtue in deliberately being sloppy / messy, you know. I guess common courtesy is dead. You're in a shared space. It's inconsiderate to be a slob and say "deal with it."
    · Reply · Share
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys 16651 replies66 threads Senior Member
    Agree, it's one of those things you learn when you live with someone who is 'different' than you. She might even pick up some new "good' habits picking up and cleaning.
    · Reply · Share
    At the same time, the person who can't stand anything out of place ever will hopefully learn that what another person's desk looks like isn't really in their control.
    · Reply · Share
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl 40174 replies320 threads Senior Member
    This is a variant of an old thread where one roommate wanted a light on all night (not a small nightlight but a big light) and expected the other to just deal; likewise, the person who demanded absolute darkness in a room, not even the light from an alarm clock, who expected the other person to just deal.

The window washing is ridiculous but I don't think it's u reasonable to throw a comforter over ones bed and keep trash off the floor. And it's unreasonable to wipe down a sink. Time for the slob to grow up; that's part of sharing common space.

· Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity