Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

phone Italy

Jugulator20Jugulator20 Registered User Posts: 1,408 Senior Member
S going to Italy. Any suggestions about phone, wifi?

Replies to: phone Italy

• GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    Is he going to visit for a week? Or live there for a year?

• Jugulator20Jugulator20 Registered User Posts: 1,408 Senior Member
    10 days
  • musicamusicamusicamusica Registered User Posts: 6,468 Senior Member
    He can take his smart phone, set it on airplane mode and use wifi to skype, use face time or use another online message app (such as facebook messaging.) Tourist destinations in Italy are loaded with wifi hot spots.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 22,190 Forum Champion
    I would not worry about it for just 10 days. See if his hotel has wi-fi so he can skype if need be. My D spent a semester there and we bought a cheap unlocked phone and she got an Italian SIM card -- but for 10 days I wouldn't bother. But you can google cheap international phones for some options.
  • deb922deb922 Registered User Posts: 5,178 Senior Member
    The Italy forum on trip advisor addresses this in great detail. If his phone is unlocked he can purchase a SIM card and phone plan for not that much. TIM is the provider most mentioned. If he has Verizon he can purchase an international plan but it doesn't include much data 100 mbs for $40.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 18,909 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    What @musicamusica says. If he wants a phone to call locally in Italy or even back to the USA, you can buy a simple flip phone very cheaply in Italy. Cell phone service is cheaper in Europe than in the USA.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,567 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    ATT family plan ccount allows us to "buy" unlimited international minutes, and texts for specific time periods for a low cost
    I think it was $30.
    DS who has an older IPhone and is on our plan, has used that option 3 times in the last 3 years.
    He did not no need to get another phone or Sim card.
    piece of cake.
    To add--- a lot of this depends on what your domestic plan offers. I have usually used the airplane mode/ skype option since our plan (Verizon) stinks as far as travel in Europe goes. This Nov I will be in France for a month, so that makes it worthwhile to get a French SIM card for my unlocked phone. For a couple of weeks, not so much.
  • ClaremontMomClaremontMom Registered User Posts: 2,390 Senior Member
    If you have Sprint or T-mobile you can get a free international plan on your current phone. We have Sprint and my D (studying abroad) gets free texts, 20 cent per minute phone calls and "unlimited" 2G data. Since most of the time she's on wifi this works fine for her. You can also buy a 3G data pass for a week for only $25. There's a two week pass as well.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/international-value-roaming/#!/
  • KajonKajon Registered User Posts: 4,434 Senior Member
    Kajon's expensive lesson......If you are sending pix to your friends while in a wifi area, these files can take a bit longer so stay put until it actually sends!
  • somemomsomemom Registered User Posts: 10,850 Senior Member
    Get all the friends & family on What's App for texting and calling on wifi or data
    If you buy a local SIM you probably cannot call US #s, but when we went, I downloaded and activated an Xfinity app on my mother's landline account with Comcast & that gave me the ability to have a faux US # that worked over wifi & data, I even used it to call a client in the US

If one needs good wifi, you can also rent a portable Mi-fi unit from various sources, it works on the 3g/4g and is only as good as the cell service, but it gave me much better data reception than the phone was getting.
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    For only 10 days I wouldn't do the same thing same as for 10 weeks.

Because we parents live overseas, we maintain separate US & overseas cellphone accounts for ourselves. But for our kids who are studying in the US, we just maintain a US cellphone account for them.

When they visit us overseas during breaks, we just temporarily turn on the int'l service plan for them. They have "locked" phones, so a local SIM card isn't going to work on their phones. They supplement by using free wifi whenever possible to reduce the amount of data roaming.

WhatsApp is really useful for free messaging & voice calls to other WhatsApp users. Definitely download it.
    In the two years D has lived in Europe I have not once called her using a conventional phone call. There are far far too many free options available. I either text or skype her almost every single day. Sometimes it's just "hey what's up" and sometimes it's a 2 hour meal and girltalk session.
  • ClaremontMomClaremontMom Registered User Posts: 2,390 Senior Member
    I can't imagine in 10 days there would be much need for making any phone calls to chat, and even so, musicamusica is right there are many wi-fi options. However, there may be a need to call for a reservation or get information about a tourist attraction which might require a conventional phone call. Or even an emergency may require a regular phone call. So for 10 days I think if your provider has a plan that's probably the easiest thing to do since you're probably not going to need much.
  • InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Registered User Posts: 1,704 Senior Member
    When D went to England/France for 10 days, we put an international texting plan on her phone and locked down data. That worked well.

When she went to Greece for a month, I also put the international plan on her phone, but mainly we communicated via What's App. Where she was staying had wifi, and she didn't move around much, so that worked.

Now that she's in Greece for a semester, she's purchased a local SIM card (her phone is unlocked). She uses that to communicate with her classmates. We still communicate mainly via What's App.
This discussion has been closed.