Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Am I crazy not wanting my son living on campus?

Replies to: Am I crazy not wanting my son living on campus?

• ahsmuohahsmuoh Registered User Posts: 1,346 Senior Member
    NKU is very much a commuter school. Campus is very quiet on the weekends. My neighbor has a daughter that is a junior there and lives in an apartment. She comes home every weekend (we live about 40 minutes away).
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,548 Senior Member
    I don't blame OP's son for wanting his own room, his own bathroom, his own car and parking space. Who wouldn't? I grew up sharing a bathroom with 4 brothers and a sister, was the 5th driver in a one-car family, always shared a bedroom until my sister went to college (and even then her stuff was still there). I longed for my own space but poverty kept me sharing rooms and bathrooms and cars until about age 27. Having my own room and bathroom and car IS better.

But I can share if I have to. I also sat in a cube and hated it and that was years after I was used to having my own office, own phone, own secretary. You do what you have to do.
  • PickOne1PickOne1 Registered User Posts: 704 Member
    I wouldn't put a freshman in an off-campus apartment away from home. The RAs and all the support services are there to help this difficult transition to college and to keep your S safe. If he has difficulty adjusting, there will be people there to help him adjust, including likely a move to a single room if that is the only issue. But at least he is not alone in a strange place ...
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,631 Senior Member
    Poor, smothered kid. Looked up NKU- Northern Kentucky??? I wouldn't be surprised if her kid locks the bathroom door to prevent invasion from mom. "We" picked out ...U.

The best thing for young adults is to leave home. Living on campus freshman year is the best for many, many reasons. Introverts need, and get their privacy. Hopefully this kid can blossom despite his parenting.

btw- mom got her wish, likely to find other ways to interfere in her son's life and keep him a child.
  • Madison85Madison85 Registered User Posts: 10,647 Senior Member
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Moved_My_Cheese?

Am I the only who never heard of this book?!

(We have plenty of delicious and satisfying cheeses in endless varieties here in Wisconsin).
  • OspreyCV22OspreyCV22 Registered User Posts: 1,675 Senior Member
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Moved_My_Cheese?

I remember the book!

"Enjoy Change! Savor The Adventure And Enjoy The Taste Of New Cheese!"
  • Tonia39Tonia39 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Most extroverts are just big jerks at times. They simply do not get it. My son has all sorts of coping strategies for dealing with the "suck it up" brigade. @snowdog you are so right about the "advanced preparation" thing. And guess what, folks, working well and successfully with people at a job and living with them in your home is two totally different things.

I asked a simple question, but just like typical social butterfly types, some of you went into full on rear-end mode, attacking what you don't understand. You're so "tolerant" and enlightened, until someone doesn't function like you in society. LOL!

We are two miles outside of the "commuting" range for NKU @ucbalumnas.
  • takeitallintakeitallin Registered User Posts: 3,378 Senior Member
    Especially since you are only 2 miles outside the commuter range, and because the rule is new, I would have your son apply for a waiver of the rule. Could you also possibly claim financial hardship as a reason for not using the dorms? I wasn't clear if he wanted to live at home or in an off-campus apartment- I may have missed it- but in any case, he could live either place once a variance is granted.

if you are going to post on CC, you have to be strong and ignore the unsolicited advice you will inevitably receive lol. I know I have been guilty of that too.

On another note,one of the best books I have recently read is "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking". I highly recommend it for introverts, parents, educators, supervisors, anyone!!!
  • suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 5,592 Senior Member
    The title of the post is, "Am I crazy not wanting my son living on campus?" The OP didn't like some of the answers she got, so now she's in attack mode. Don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the full spectrum of opinions.
    Who am I attacking, SuzyQ? I was laughing about it, hence the "LOL." ;)
  • HuntHunt Registered User Posts: 26,918 Senior Member
    I guess OP didn't actually want to know if she was crazy or not.
    Oh, believe me, I know I'm crazy! I guess it was a rhetorical question.
  • ClaremontMomClaremontMom Registered User Posts: 2,401 Senior Member
    @takeitallin - The OPs son wants to live in an off campus apartment with a roommate. And it's already been resolved, the kids are considered sophomores because of their credits. (Post #38)
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,949 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    What option would be easier to change? Starting out in an apartment and if it doesn't work out switch to dorm or the other way around?

Depending on how many apts are available in the area the second option might be better because getting a dorm room later if you change mind might be harder, especially a single.

A housing deposit for dorm is a few hundred $, apartment might require 2 month's rent and security deposit up front, plus possibly utilities, food, etc.

I still don't think it is a good idea for two freshmen to share off campus apt. If he lives in dorm son can study when he wants at library. Only laundry to do. Meals provided in cafeteria. No shopping, cooking, cleaning. Who knows if neighborhood of apt is safe or even quiet? How far from campus would it be?

If he doesn't like sharing showers he could shower when there are fewer people, evening, afternoon.
This discussion has been closed.