Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is this an abberation or should we be more concerned?

Replies to: Is this an abberation or should we be more concerned?

• PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    YK something? I think the posters depicted in the article are pretty funny. And double entendres / puns aren't anything new. Or scandalous.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 11,737 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    IDK if concern is warranted on my part as neither i nor my kids are involved in Derby Days or Greek life at all. It's kind of gross but not surprising to me.

@Pizzagirl I take the article to be more about the sororities doing all the work for the fraternity's event. To which I give a big shrug because it seems totally typical of that mindset to me, to try to please fraternities. Isn't that what *some* of this is about, being popular, access to the cute guys, etc etc?
  • BayBay Registered User Posts: 12,499 Senior Member
    Its perfectly fine. I wish people would stop viewing women as helpless victims all the time.
  • alhalh Registered User Posts: 8,334 Senior Member
    This seems just like Derby Day in the 70s, so seems less an aberration and more just same-old, same-old to me. I vaguely recall getting sorority demerits for refusing to participate after the first year. Half way through my sophomore year, I wasn't dating fraternity guys any longer so I had no interest in their events.
  • alcibiadealcibiade Registered User Posts: 586 Member
    edited September 2015
    It isn't an aberration in many places. It's one of those things many will have to learn how to deal with, it's not the kind of thing that a simple administrative action can stamp out. It will take a lot of awareness raising and fights to convince people to stop.
    Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
    A lot of my sorority sisters liked Sigma Chis - they were the Big House on Campus, especially since their national was headquartered nearby - and a lot of them spent a lot of time going to their parties, participating in Derby Days, etc. I didn't participate simply because I already had a boyfriend in another house and had no interest in hanging around Sigma Chi to try to pick up guys - NTTAWWT as far as I'm concerned. Of course I wasn't "punished" with demerits - how very odd; of course there were absolutely zero consequences to not participating. I see this whole thing as really no big deal and this is faux-Jezebel clickbait outrage.

Pssst ... The guys fall all over themselves to help with / partner with the sorority philanthropies and events since obviously they want to meet and greet too. It works both ways.
  • 2014novamom2014novamom Registered User Posts: 778 Member
    DG has Anchor Splash -- which involves both fraternities and sororities. Like Derby Day, there are all sorts of competitions to raise money for DG's philanthropic cause. It involves both genders though so I guess it's not troublesome to Jezebel.

Look, if the sororities don't want to participate they don't have to. My sorority back in the 80s didn't and it was no big deal.
  • FallGirlFallGirl Registered User Posts: 7,798 Senior Member
    I was a Sigma Chi "little sister" back in the day. The guys were great. I participated in Derby Days with my sorority and remember it being fun.

As for the signs, I don't remember Derby Day signs like that. But I remember the spirit signs we painted for Pep Club in HS and they were loaded with double entendres. They were mostly for the football and basketball games...use your imagination.
    A local high school mascot is the Trojans and there were all kinds of t-shirts with obvious double entendres / puns ("we don't break under pressure," you get the idea). Newsflash - young people are interested in sex, the opposite sex, and are experimenting with how to be flirtatious, saucy, suggestive, whatever adjective you wish.
    "Look, if the sororities don't want to participate they don't have to. My sorority back in the 80s didn't and it was no big deal."

Of course not. But as usual let's all generalize from the over-the-top systems.
  • JoblueJoblue Registered User Posts: 1,247 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    I remember Derby weeks fondly and never felt exploited or "used" for fundraising. Of course, my sorority also had fraternity guys jumping through hoops for our "Mr. (fill in name of university)" fundraisers, so it was all pretty equal as I remember. In fact, since they were parading shirtless, I'd say we exploited them more than they exploited us since we were never required to dress scantily. All for a good cause, of course ;)

Really, some people just love to get outraged anytime sororities or fraternities do anything.
  • BayBay Registered User Posts: 12,499 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    It will take a lot of awareness raising and fights to convince people to stop.

AKA another SJW crusade.

Yep, lets all be the same and not let anyone have fun that falls outside your definition of behavior that doesn't offend anyone, even if they are not participating and don't have to.
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 22,668 Senior Member
    edited September 2015
    Takes me back to Sigma Chi house at MIT, circa 1975. Visiting bros from USC describe Derby Day. MIT brothers say "No way would the women around here do that." USC bro responds, "All brains and no body, huh?"
This discussion has been closed.