Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

On a more pleasant note: A most beautiful college campus list

Replies to: On a more pleasant note: A most beautiful college campus list

• PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    "At the end they describe how they defined rural - if memory serves me it was a area with less than 50,000 people."

That's so stupid - practically every suburb of a city would be "rural" then.
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    I am happy that Miami made a list at #22. Pretty campus was one of D's reasons to attend there. Whatever makes them happy...she had great 4 years there. And our state of OH has few others, nice to know!
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,619 Senior Member
    For http://www.greatvaluecolleges.net/40-most-beautiful-college-campuses-in-rural-areas/
    The point system we used in our ranking works as follows:

-Awards and Recognition: International accolade (2 points), national accolade (1 point), appearance on the National Register of Historic Places (1 point)
    -Other Recognition: Inclusion on other noteworthy “most beautiful college campuses” list articles (1 point per list)
    -Notable Features: Features, such as significant architecture, famous buildings, outdoor activity centers, farms, botanical gardens, arboretums, historical relevance, etc. (1 point each, or 2 points if there are several types of one feature, such as gardens)
    -Location: If the location is of certain significance, such as part of a national park or forest, on a hilltop or mountain, forest, etc. (1 point)
    -Student Enjoyment: Full-time student retention rates, as reported by College Navigator, above 75% (1 point) and 90% and above (2 points)

In cases where two or more schools have the same number of points, their rank order is determined by the schools’ affordability. The schools with lower net costs, as reported by the College Navigator Database, received the better ranking (lower net cost = lower number).

whereas this list: http://www.bestcollegereviews.org/features/most-beautiful-college-campuses/
    Methodology

To create this piece, nominations were selected based on 1.) inclusion in dozens of comparable “most beautiful college campuses” list articles, and 2.) an informal survey of friends and colleagues both in and out of academia.

Picturesque natural features such as green spaces, bodies of water and arboretums were the key criteria, as was elegant architecture – and specific buildings and areas were then singled out for their outstanding looks. The ordering was selected simply on the basis of which, as a whole, seemed to be the most beautiful.

Of course, MY kid's school is top ten on the second list and only top 20 on the first, so the second's methodology is clearly better :D
  • northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 3,417 Senior Member
    "Of course, MY kid's school is top ten on the second list and only top 20 on the first, so the second's methodology is clearly better."

Clearly list # 2 is right. Since UVA is #1 rather than a ridiculous #4 on the other list.
  • donnaleighgdonnaleighg Registered User Posts: 1,576 Senior Member
    funny, 4 schools in all in our family and all in the top 15. Guess that's what we value :)
  • ohiovalley16ohiovalley16 Registered User Posts: 456 Member
    edited October 2015
    So Bloomington, Indiana doesn't meet the rural definition, whatever. Drive in from I-65 on State Route 46, especially after you've made the turn away from Nashville (Indiana), observe the scenery, resist the temptation to pass slow-moving farm vehicles, and then we can have the discussion.

IUB had me at "when we built the new stadium, we transformed the footprint of the old one into the arboretum we're standing in right now." That's one very large arboretum. Also the Wells dictum that for any tree cut down, 2 must be planted in its place. Many places on campus you feel like you're in an Olmsted-designed park. And many of the buildings are breathtaking.

Interestingly we thought our D would be lukewarm about it because it wasn't in a large city like Chicago, Boston, or Philly. Turns out the campus has enough critical mass to offer lots of those resources right there, including their own theater and opera companies, art museum, and quite the cosmopolitan little downtown area. It's one of her top few preferred schools for next year.
  • 50N40W50N40W Registered User Posts: 963 Member
    @compmom said "Surprised Bennington is only #38..."

Agreed. Only thing I can think of is that Bennington's favorite son (Robert Frost) gave his vote to #22.

Title of the article would have been better as "50 of the most beautiful" without attempting to rank them. In matters of taste, there can be no argument.

• MADadMADad Registered User Posts: 2,050 Senior Member
    Mt. Holyoke, D's alma mater--#2 on one list, #7 on the other---Go Lyons!!
  • LBowieLBowie Registered User Posts: 1,842 Senior Member
    I notice that it's primarily liberal arts colleges. There are no universities on the list. If it included universities, I would nominate UC Santa Cruz with its builings among redwood forests and rolling hills.
  • 50N40W50N40W Registered User Posts: 963 Member
    Miami _University_ is on that list.
  • LBowieLBowie Registered User Posts: 1,842 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    Whoops, missed that. Thanks for pointing it out. THere's actually a lot, including Penn State!
  • dadof1dadof1 Registered User Posts: 696 Member
  • laticheverlatichever Registered User Posts: 1,522 Senior Member
    Odd they rated Amherst over Williams. But it's always odd when that happens.

:)

"It would be no small advantage if every college were thus located at the base of a mountain.” — Henry David Thoreau, writing of Williams in 1844.
  • WasatchWriterWasatchWriter Registered User Posts: 2,528 Senior Member
    edited October 2015
    Call me a snob, but I think living on a beautiful campus is an essential part of the college experience. By this I mean old buildings made of brick and limestone, Georgian columns, Gothic arches, and an abundance of trees that shed leaves in a true fall season.

I don't mean to denigrate different tastes; that's just mine, and thankfully DD's, since she attends such a place -- though it's too urban to be on the list.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Registered User Posts: 15,485 Senior Member
    While it's certainly nice to study on a beautiful campus, I hardly think it's essential. My alma mater was a building in a nice blue-collar neighborhood of a factory town in the midwest. I loved my college experience.

I do have to admit that I use the "beautiful campus" hook when talking to students about the drop-dead-gorgeous campus of the college where I work, though. ;)
This discussion has been closed.