Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

On a more pleasant note: A most beautiful college campus list

momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 16,676 Senior Member
Unbelievable that I've seen all but a couple of these campuses and the list,in my opinion, a pretty darn good list.

http://www.greatvaluecolleges.net/40-most-beautiful-college-campuses-in-rural-areas/

Replies to: On a more pleasant note: A most beautiful college campus list

• FourthmomFourthmom Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    I'm glad to see that St. Olaf is on that list. We toured it a year ago. It is absolutely stunning. My daughter didn't end up going there, but we absolutely loved the morning we spent visiting that school.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    Wellesley at 12 is indeed gorgeous, but rural it ain't. It's upscale suburbia.
  • JoblueJoblue Registered User Posts: 1,306 Senior Member
    I visited Elon a few years ago with DD and while she didn't end up applying, we did think it was a stunning campus. I'm surprised it wasn't ranked higher.
  • compmomcompmom Registered User Posts: 10,608 Senior Member
    Surprised Bennington is only #38...
  • CharlieschCharliesch Registered User Posts: 2,113 Senior Member
    Some colleges are mainly beautiful because of their landscaping and trees (such as Penn State). Some are beautiful because of the architecture of their buildings. Others are mainly beautiful because of their settings, with mountains and lakes.
  • Ruby789Ruby789 Registered User Posts: 366 Member
    I would not describe Evergreen State College as rural by any stretch of the imagination. And I find the buildings to be quite ugly. It is true that it is close to the Olympics and Puget Sound, so the location is near beautiful areas. But the campus itself has a lot of sixties and seventies style concrete block.

If Evergreen qualifies as rural, then I would replace it at #17 with Hope College in Holland, Michigan. Although there is a small town around it, the campus, and buildings are charming.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,825 Senior Member
    Boulder is more 'rural' than Wellesley. I noticed they didn't show any of these schools in the 'mud' season or even in a blizzard. If only every day at St. Olaf's was a beautiful fall day.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 16,676 Senior Member
    At the end they describe how they defined rural - if memory serves me it was a area with less than 50,000 people.
  • panpacificpanpacific Registered User Posts: 1,302 Senior Member
    "Most beautiful"? that gotta be very subjective ranking. Here's another one: http://www.bestcollegereviews.org/features/most-beautiful-college-campuses/
  • fractalmstrfractalmstr Registered User Posts: 2,283 Senior Member
    One vote for my own alma mater, Embry-Riddle Prescott. Great campus in a beautiful location!

NAU is another one.
  • carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys Registered User Posts: 7,110 Senior Member
    2 of them are on my son's short list .
  • crepescrepes Registered User Posts: 593 Member
    edited October 2015
    My daughter's school is very high on both of those lists. It has all the features @Charliesch mentions above: beautiful historic buildings and architecture, landscaping, and natural setting with lakes on campus and hills surrounding it. We visited last weekend and with the fall foliage it was gorgeous. :)
This discussion has been closed.