Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

S not feeling safe with roommate

124»

Replies to: S not feeling safe with roommate

• mom2andmom2and Registered User Posts: 2,733 Senior Member
    So glad he has been found. I hope he gets appropriate help and is OK in the future. So very sad for this boy and his family.
  • dyiu13dyiu13 Registered User Posts: 2,866 Senior Member
    As an exercise, if ask myself, if this roomie did a medical leave because of a *cancer* diagnosis, how would I respond? Would I send a casserole? A card? ... Always a worthwhile exercise.
  • CADREAMINCADREAMIN Registered User Posts: 5,457 Senior Member
    I brought up the parents shouldering some of the blame because Texasmom mentioned "The roommate has immigrant parents with certain expectations for him, including this school and this major for this son. I am sure that his why he came back."

While mental illness is certainly a possibility and certainly there is something going on, parental pressures are in fact a huge source of anxiety and a spiral to mental issues for many college kids. The ones that I know are the unhappiest at school (and in life) are those just being a robot for their parents. That was the point. If they have been trained to have little input into the direction of their life, that is just sad, and unfortunately there are a lot of them out there paying off some imposed debt to their parents, and we aren't talking poor first gen kids. Expectations on your kids is normal, be we all know people whose kids have little choice in their life, at least through college.

So no, we don't know exactly what is up with this kid, but the fact he was miserable and came back gives a hint to the home situation.
  • LizardlyLizardly Registered User Posts: 2,493 Senior Member
    Dyiu, good point. A card and a follow up phone call? Encourage your son to do the same.

I have a friend whose kid is having some mental health issues and touch base with her from time to time. This situation is different because these parents aren't OP's friends, but it does seem kind to contact them.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,633 Senior Member
    Periwinkle wrote:
    Call the police. Not only campus security, but the police.

Responding late (as the matter seems to have been resolved), but this is an example of a situation where it is important to know whether campus security is an actual police department, or whether the actual police department is an organization separate from campus security.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,504 Forum Champion
    Dyiu, Interesting exercise, but in this particular case I would probably opt not to contact the roommate. It may be best for him to move forward rather than get brought back to this difficult time so close to when it happened.
  • msteemstee Registered User Posts: 3,136 Senior Member
    I am so relieved that the kid was found. I hope he can find his way.
This discussion has been closed.