Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Halloween Costume Political Correctness on Campus

Replies to: Halloween Costume Political Correctness on Campus

• PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    It's fun to try on things that are not-you, whether that's being Snoopy or Pocahontas or a Ninja Turtle or a black belt or a sergeant or a 70s disco dancer. It is not inherently disrespectful. There aren't rules or laws as to who is "allowed" to wear what.
    "went to Wal-Mart with a friend to get the finishing touches for our costumes, and as we walked down the costume aisle, we spotted an afro wig. The worst thing about this afro wig is there were white models on the packaging depicting what the wig would look like. I wish I could see the appeal to afro wigs, but I don’t."

The author is missing the point. It's of no concern if she doesn't see the appeal of an Afro wig. The only person who need see the appeal is the one buying the costume.

And please - if a black model had modeled the wig, they would be accused of selling out or of being Stepan Fetchit. She wouldn't have felt better if a black model was depicted.

• warbrainwarbrain Registered User Posts: 716 Member
    I don't understand why people are so defensive. If you want to wear offensive costumes so badly, just do it.
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    I guess the Taliban blue burka costumes we wore a few years ago would get us in hot water now...
  • SweetbeetSweetbeet Registered User Posts: 595 Member
    edited October 2015
    When my son was 3 mos. old, DH (protestant), me (atheist) and DS (then undecided) went as Joseph, Mary and Jesus. As far as I know, none of our (Catholic, Jewish, Protestant, Zoroastrian, and ???) friends were offended. But today? Probably wouldn't fly.

And don't even get me started on our co-op house's annual "pervert party"!
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,923 Senior Member
    As a person with Roma heritage, who has had to explain to far too many people that no, Gypsies are not a Disney creation but rather are a real people who face real discrimination, it does bother me when people wear Gypsy costumes. It bothers me when people wear any costumes appropriating another culture when they face so much hatred and discrimination.

Am I going to rant about it? No. But it is honestly one of the reasons I have never been a fan of Halloween.

If that makes me sensitive, so be it.
    you can't have it both ways though. You can't claim that (element of dress) is a valued cultural aspect that should be respected and honored AND that portraying it "reinforces historical stereotypes." Mariachi bands DO wear those kinds of hats. Japanese women DO wear kimonos. And so forth.
    Romani, who gets to be the thought police deciding what aspects honor/celebrate someone else's culture and what aspects inappropriately re-appropriate them? If I go eat tacos, am I celebrating Mexican culture or mocking it? How about if you eat bagels and lox?
    When I went to India earlier this year, I wore a shalwar kameez and a kurta. Was that "cultural re appropriation" or being respectful and blending in? What if I go with a girlfriend to the Indian section of Chicago and shop for beautiful saris? Am I "allowed" to do so or do I need an authentic Indian card? I've enjoyed shopping for native clothing and art in a lot of the countries I visit. What are the rules for what I can and cannot wear and where I can and cannot wear it? Is it cultural reappropriation for an Indian woman to go into Pendleton and buy a tartan skirt?

Are the only things we are allowed to wear / buy / display / eat those associated with our own ethnic group of birth?
    I'm not talking about me being a sexy Pocahontas. What about my hypothetical 8 yo being Pocahontas?
  • boolaHIboolaHI Registered User Posts: 1,956 Senior Member
    There is a big difference with a children's Pocahontas, and the slutting up of the now frequent PocaHOTas, outfits that are de rigeur at many parties. The former is at once benign and innocent, the later, incredibly offensive....
This discussion has been closed.