right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Replies to: Finally A College President Speaks the Truth

• laticheverlatichever 1431 replies91 threads Senior Member
    If by the truth you mean a school that believes the way they interpret the Bible is inerrant, and that God's word is the basis of sciemce. That's a school where it's not a safe place if you're gay. They withdrew from the Council of Christian Universities because other members were hiring faculty who were in gay marriages.
    · Reply · Share
  • TurnerTTurnerT 622 replies6 threads Member
    edited December 2015
    "This is a place where you will quickly learn that you need to grow up."

Yale should say that.

What he wrote was so accurate, and so universal..
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • CAMidwestMomCAMidwestMom 872 replies8 threads Member
    There can still be truth to what he's saying even if I/we don't agree with everything his school stands for. If only common sense would apply and the pendulum wouldn't swing too far to the extreme of trying to predict and protect from any offense.
    · Reply · Share
  • ohiovalley16ohiovalley16 396 replies60 threads Member
    edited December 2015
    I saw this blog post last night and enthusiastically agreed in principle, though not with every word.

From my point of view, the average college student has simply not earned the right to "arrogantly lecture, rather than humbly learn." And seeking to be "enabled rather than confronted" is to cut oneself off from some important opportunities for growth.

Aren't learning and growth supposed to be what college is all about? Why would we graduate people into the workplace who don't value conflict resolution and respect for others' ideas?
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • saintfansaintfan 8182 replies92 threads Senior Member
    "Living on campus is part of being fully engaged in college life. We provide a home away from home with new friends and old friends and allow you to learn where you live. Campus life is both spiritual and social. Our Resident Assistants are there to guide and mentor you; residence halls are there to make you feel safe and comfortable. Being a part of the OKWU family means establishing friendships that last a lifetime."

From their housing page. Isn't this sort of what some Yale students wanted RE the head of their residential college (i.e. home away from home)?
    · Reply · Share
    Because it's not daycare:

You want to know what your student is up to while away at college, but they don’t always keep you up to date. So we want to make sure you are up to speed on what is happening in your student’s life here on the OKWUcampus.

The Office of Student Development will be sending out an email newsletter, several times each semester, with the latest information about what has been happening on campus. These emails will include Chapel highlights, student activities, pictures and videos about life here at OKWU. In addition, this will be a great way for you to get information about due dates for things like financial aid, class registrations and more.

Please take a minute and make sure we have an accurate email address. You can also invite other family members, grandmas, grandpas, sign up so they can stay up to date too!
    · Reply · Share
    Hey! They offer a Bachelors of Science in Christian Leadership and Apologetics as well as a Sports Ministry major!
    · Reply · Share
  • IlamBehiniIlamBehini 70 replies2 threads Junior Member
    I was pretty unimpressed with a college president who writes like a teenage girl. The excessive use of exclamation points made me want to send him back to a Composition 101 class. Maybe this belongs on the list of stupid reasons to reject a college, but I wouldn't send a kid to a school where the president writes as if he were still in high school.
    · Reply · Share
  • IlamBehiniIlamBehini 70 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Also find it pretty funny that a college that bans any movies with a rating higher than PG-13 is wailing that "this is not a daycare" From the student handbook : "When VCRs/DVDs are used on campus, DVDs/videos must not be rated above “PG-13.” Movies that are rated“R”, “X”, “Mature,” or “NC-17” are prohibited." Sounds exactly like a daycare to me.
    · Reply · Share
  • BeeDAreBeeDAre 1156 replies12 threads Senior Member
    I find the name-calling in the article to be unprofessional. Writing like this is the very definition of propaganda.

And I actually do think some overly-PC students nowadays act like "special snowflakes."
    But I wouldn't write it in what is supposed to be a newspaper opinion piece. I'd find a more effective choice of words to convince the other side...
    But I suspect this writer and news outlet may be "preaching to the choir" as well...

Finally, I think this has less to do with students being demanding, special snowflakes;
    and more to do with students at a Christian university not being able to question the status quo.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity