Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Double Depositing is NOT a good idea

1910111214

Replies to: Double Depositing is NOT a good idea

  • eduedmeduedm Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    since another international parent from southeast asia just post this question in another thread,
    I just thought that >>> oversea HS << may go ahead & send in MULTIPLE ( we're talking about more than 2 final transcripts) if the parents ask them to do so.
    Those HS staff will go along w/ what those parents ask them to do....they don't want to loose their office job & won't tell these to any colleges ( why would they?)...so they will go along.
    ....and imagine that....if , every year, there are some international students doing that
    & therefore holding up spots....boy! that would be a real issue !
  • dtedte Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    I think there is a difference between procrastinating the deadline to choose for no reason other than your not sure, which is very selfish. But different than depositing at 2 schools for reasons you really do not have control over. I think this is not a black and white situation. If my d could get the assurance that she was on the team before May 1, there wouldn't be a question. But of course, the coach cannot do that until she can see the DVD. The DVD cannot be made for six more weeks as my d has just been released after having major surgery. So a double bind. I went back and looked at the common application and I did not see anything that said what Carolyn posted above. I did find a link on the common app to the NACCA that said it. Perhaps her coach here can call the coach at the school and get more of an assurance.
  • blueiguanablueiguana Registered User Posts: 7,496 Senior Member
    I don't think UVA has such policies so if you get caught, your decision on which school to attend is made. Unless I am wrong about UVA, that is.

    UVa uses the Common App. When you apply you agree to the terms of committing to only one institution.
  • dtedte Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    As far as the financial aid packages go. Would you buy a car without knowing first how much it is going to cost you?? To make a decision by May 1 without having the financial aid information is teaching your children to be financially irresponsible. I would never buy a car, house, or school which can be upwards of 200,000 without knowing what my debt is going to be???

    Fortunately that is not an issue for us. But if it was, there would be no question about the double depositing.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,611 Super Moderator
    With one clearly her first choice and we deposited. Her second choice school athletic coach called her and said if she could send her a tape by the end of July, she would PROBABLY let her on the team. (My daughter could not go to tryouts due to recovering from a knee reconstruction surgery). Well, if she gets on the team she would go to her second choice school...but she won't know till July.

    Will your D be playing here sport at her first choice school?
    To make a decision by May 1 without having the financial aid information is teaching your children to be financially irresponsible.

    Is this the case with your child or have both schools given her a financial aid package and you are looking for some sort of athletic scholarship from school # 2?

    I would think that at this stage of the game, that most of the athletic scholarships would already be accounted for?

    How certain can you be that the coach is willing to hold a spot open for your daughter?

    What if she is unable to play?
  • howiegrangehowiegrange Registered User Posts: 200 Junior Member
    I know someone who deposited to three schools.

    But none of them were American ones, so I don't know if it was unethical or not
  • ConsolationConsolation Registered User Posts: 23,020 Senior Member
    dte, if the coach at school B is sufficiently interested in your D--and able--to arrange for your D to be treated like a student on the wait list, then your problem is solved.

    If not, I would say that given the mights and maybes associated with this situation, your D should realize that a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush and go with school A. It sounds as if she may not be able to be on the team at school B even if she does send a DVD.

    I'm curious: did the coach approach your D with this plan, or did the coach offer this after urgent inquiries from your D? If the latter, then the coach may be throwing her a bone, and school A looks even better.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,611 Super Moderator
    dte, if the coach at school B is sufficiently interested in your D--and able--to arrange for your D to be treated like a student on the wait list, then your problem is solved.

    Hi Consolation,

    I think that Op's D was accepted at school b but not as a recruited athlete. It is her second choice, which is why Op wants to double deposit.

    She wants to know if the coach will give her a spot on the team. To me (and I could be wrong) it seems as D is going to her first choice without a spot on the team.

    I agree with you in thinking he is merely tossing OP's D a bone as even if his roster is not full, I am sure that he probably has some healthy players lined up.
  • drdomdrdom Registered User Posts: 416 Member
    I think in some circumstances double depositing is fine, not unethical. These schools are run like big businesses these days and in my experience break their own rules at times. I can't recall ever signing anything that said we wouldn't double deposit. Is it fair to keep someone on a waiting list until early August so the college can get exactly the class make up it wants? Of course not, but it happened to us. So where should we have gone to report this school? What difference would it have made? This famous LAC also lied about when the wait list considerations would start so some kids sent in additional information ahead of other kids.Schools do what is convenient and beneficial for them and parents should do the same.
  • ADadADad Registered User Posts: 4,921 Senior Member
    Is it fair to keep someone on a waiting list until early August so the college can get exactly the class make up it wants? Of course not, but it happened to us.

    What rule does maintaining a wait list until August break?
    Schools do what is convenient and beneficial for them and parents should do the same.

    Are these corollaries acceptable? If not, why not?

    Parents do what is convenient and beneficial for them and their kids should do the same.

    The Police do what is convenient and beneficial for them and citizens should do the same.
    I think in some circumstances double depositing is fine, not unethical.

    What are some circumstances under which double depositing is not unethical?
  • MidwestMom2Kids_MidwestMom2Kids_ Registered User Posts: 6,673 Senior Member
    enroll in a school and cancel your enrollment before May 1st?

    I apologize if someone else explained this better, but here are my two cents -

    Suppose your two favorite schools are Auburn (War Eagle!) and an Ivy, which is your number one reach school.

    If you wanted to live on campus at Auburn but you were waiting for a notification of admission from the Ivy, "enroll and cancel" would be what you would do. Dorm space for freshmen fills up in February, and you can't reserve a dorm room unless you have paid your university intent to enroll deposit. You pay your enrollment deposit, then you pay your housing deposit, then you pick your dorm. But - then you get your Ivy admission in March. If you want to go to the Ivy, you withdraw your intent to enroll deposit and your housing deposit for Auburn, and you put in an intent to enroll deposit on that Ivy.

    The Auburn web site explains that they get to keep the intent to enroll deposit of $200 but they will refund your housing deposit if the housing request is canceled before May 1. They know that some students want to go to Auburn and live on campus at Auburn only if they don't get into their number one reach school.

    This isn't double depositing, because at time, you only have your intent to enroll deposit in at one school. It's "sequential depositing." I don't think this system is kind to the students who lose $200 because they got into their top reach school (a typical March notification school), but this is how they do it. I think Penn State works the same way; the UT Austin system is similar.
  • eduedmeduedm Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    the most important thing is the >> consequence << of multi-deposit.
    don't you think so????

    Unethical or common or ethical or do-able set aside here.

    >> Can the parent & student handle / or take the risk of loosing acceptance to the school(s) they worked so hard to get in?
    that really is a BIG risk factor.
  • GretaGreta Registered User Posts: 703 Member
    The current 2011 Common App language regarding double (or multiple) deposits reads:
    I affirm that I will send an enrollment deposit (or equivalent) to only one institution; sending multiple deposits (or equivalent) may result in the withdrawal of my
    admission offers from all institutions. [Note: students may send an enrollment deposit (or equivalent) to a second institution where they have been admitted from
    the waitlist, provided that they inform the first institution that they will no longer be enrolling.]

    It can be found directly above your child's signature on the Common App. I don't think you could submit electronically without checking the box next to the statement....

    https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/Docs/DownloadForms/CombinedFirstYearForms2011.pdf
  • dtedte Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    "I think that Op's D was accepted at school b but not as a recruited athlete. It is her second choice, which is why Op wants to double deposit.
    She wants to know if the coach will give her a spot on the team. To me (and I could be wrong) it seems as D is going to her first choice without a spot on the team."

    That is correct! My d's first choice does not have a team for her sport. She was recruited at other schools prior to an injury that required major surgery. She has just been released to start practicing again. So while at school (B), she went and talked to the coach, who said she has not filled all spots, and because my d had surgery she would give her the chance to send a DVD. We are not asking for scholarships or financial aid :)) I think we figured it out though. We sent the coach a DVD of her last competition, letting her know that we will send an updated one by the end of July, and a recommendation from her coach. We explained that 'd' was torn between 2 colleges and that if we could have the assurance that if she re-obtained her previous skill level by the end of July she could be on the team, it would make her decision. We will see what happens.
  • nemomnemom Registered User Posts: 1,607 Senior Member
    The language on the common app seems pretty clear to me.
    It also occurs to me that double-depositing ties up financial aid, hinders the dorm/roommate assignment process and , if done in sufficient numbers will just make the whole process more difficult as colleges have to add in more estimates to try to fill but not overfill their dorms.
    Really - you all started this process , probably, a year or more before May 1 of senior year. Make up your minds. If you have an unusual situation, call the schools and talk to them.
This discussion has been closed.