Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

prestigious vs. state

ChrissyMChrissyM Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
I am debating whether I should go to Wake Forest University (which is a prestigious university in North Carolina with rigourous academics and a grade deflation) or a New York State school SUNY Geneseo. I am aware that Wake Forest is better well known and that there would be much work (hence the nickname Work Forest) but I don't know if it is worth the extra cost of being a private liberal arts top rated university over a good state school. Geneseo is a good school, and is the top state school in NY, however it is very small and I am a bit worried that I will not be able to get a good job or have as good connections with alumni. I can't really say which school I would fit in better at because I am not sure, after visiting both schools. When I grow up, I may go onto grad school (in business) and I know wake forest will academically prepare me although my gpa may be lower (which i'm hoping will not affect the decision of the work force company or grad school).

is getting an education at a prestigious university with well known professors and tough academics worth more than an education of a state school?

thank you for your imput in advance.
This discussion has been closed.