Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

In State Schools No Bargain

Replies to: In State Schools No Bargain

• HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 34,234 Senior Member
    This day has arrived for many throughout the country quite a while back. Wages have not nearly kept up with rising college tuitions for many. There are many bright kids at community colleges, saving money taking core courses & hoping to transfer to state Us. Many of the Eagle Scouts in my son's troop went to CCs or the flagship U because that was as far as the budget would stretch.

Even at many elite private HS, many, many very bright kids are going to in-state Us because it is just too much to do more. We only have one state U system--community colleges & one U with two campuses. The tuition alone is not too high, but room & board & transportation & parking really makes it all add up quickly. One public U student I know works during the year & will work 3 jobs this summer to help keep her loans down. Her parents are both public school teachers and doing all they can to help out, but it all adds up!
  • walkinghomewalkinghome Registered User Posts: 7,737 Senior Member
    I'm envious also of residents of states that have low tuition AND their state legislature limits the amount of out of state students. Anyone is welcome to attend any of our Pennsylvania state colleges and you will have just as much chance as our resident students. In NC the legislature allows less then 18% out of state students.
  • northeastmomnortheastmom Registered User Posts: 12,379 Senior Member
    KathieP, and I will add that NC and VA have wonderful public choices too.
  • JeepMOMJeepMOM Registered User Posts: 2,499 Senior Member
    KATIEP - Our in-state tuition/cost to attend is now more than it would cost for our NC OOS student - and with alot better choices too. YEEHAA for NC schools.
  • tsdadtsdad Registered User Posts: 4,035 Senior Member
    You gets what you pay for.
  • 1moremom1moremom Registered User Posts: 3,960 Senior Member
    KathieP, What do you think would happen to tuition if you didn't have nearly 10,000 OOS paying an additional $10,000?
  • NJresNJres Registered User Posts: 6,145 Senior Member
    NJ governors school? I started a thread on the topic, sent some money.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=173595

NJ State schools will be less of a draw without merit scholarships, but my son will likely not qualify for a NJ state scholarship anyway because he will not be in the top 15% of his class. However, I expect he will get some decent merit offers from private schools due to his good overall record.
  • myheartisinohiomyheartisinohio Registered User Posts: 375 Member
    Heres a scenario to check out: This is what i would have been paying at the school I have in-state status at (Purdue) 11,500 just including tuition, room and board now lets compare that to other schools i was accepted to:
    Ohio University (out-of-state public): 10,000 (tuition, R&B, and fees)
    Depauw University (Private LAC):6,500 (tuition, R&B, fees, and a 2k laptop)
    Xavier University(Ohio) (Private):8,000 (tuition, R&B, fees, and book estimate)
    U of Dayton (Private): 15,000 (tuition, R&B, books, and laptop)
    UW-Madison: 30,000 (tuition, R&B, books)

As you can see, with the exception of UW-Madison and maybe U of Dayton, the privates and an out of state public were all cheaper than going to my in-state school.
  • hoedownhoedown Registered User Posts: 3,751 Senior Member
    Nj has long been a major "exporter" of college students.
  • idadidad Registered User Posts: 5,028 Senior Member
    northeastmom: I was using the numbers for 2006 -2007 posted on the UW website: http://www.washington.edu/students/osfa/defining.html

With tuition brings the price to about $22,000. Looks like the cost of room & board is increasing.

I looked into some of the other state universities & colleges in WA and they are somewhat cheaper than UW, Western Washington University: $15,125 and The Evergreen State College: $15,621. Not cheap, but not too bad, and these are very good regional schools.
  • quirkilyquirkily Registered User Posts: 1,061 Senior Member
    State universities aren't really outrageous. However, for lower-income students, private universities are often much more affordable. For example, Berkeley and LA both have my parents paying $1,389 a year, plus about $6,000 in loans. Princeton, on the other hand, has my parents paying $3,000 with absolutely no loans at all.
  • parabellaparabella Registered User Posts: 533 Member
    idad
    My son will be attending UW . The number given to us by Fin Aid for the next year is $ 17 800( tuition, room and board, books, transportation, the whole deal) . .
  • jlauer95jlauer95 . Posts: 2,537 Senior Member
    mini: "On what evidence do you think that is not the case now?"

You're right. I should have said that the trend has long begun.
  • chocoholicchocoholic Registered User Posts: 2,995 Senior Member
    NJres
    You have heard that NJ Governor's School is back in business for Summer 2006?
  • cathymeecathymee Registered User Posts: 2,384 Senior Member
    Ditto to PackMom's advice on delving further into the webpages of the colleges. S just got notice Saturday of an additional departmental award
    which he applied for on a fairly simple additional application after reading up on his intended major at his new college and finding the info online.Caveat:this award was made after he sent in his acceptance.
This discussion has been closed.