Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Internationally adopted kids applying to college

Replies to: Internationally adopted kids applying to college

• foodallergygurufoodallergyguru Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    On this topic, you may want to check out the webinar on Adoption Issues and the College Admissions Process being offered through the Center for Adoption Support and Education in Maryland this Thursday (January 25). Their webinars are usually free registration for the first 400 people who sign up. See adoptionsupport.org
  • foodallergygurufoodallergyguru Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    On this topic, you may want to check out the webinar on Adoption Issues and the College Admissions Process being offered through the Center for Adoption Support and Education in Maryland this Thursday (January 25, 2018). Their webinars are usually free registration for the first 400 people who sign up. Please visit adoptionsupport.org for more information.
  • VAMom23VAMom23 Registered User Posts: 451 Member
    I anticipated problems when my son applied to schools last year. I emailed two of the places where he applied, and asked if I needed to do anything different. They both replied just to check the "citizen" box. I had heard that he might be considered an international student and not eligible for merit aid. We didn't have an issue.Thank goodness.
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 Registered User Posts: 3,843 Senior Member
    My daughter got through the whole admissions and financial aid process including receipt of need-based and merit aid with no request for documentation of her immigration status but had to provide proof of citizenship (passport accepted) before orientation. Plus she had additional TB screening because she was born in a country where the disease is much more common than it is in the U.S. A statement from her pediatrician's office did the job.
  • immomtooneimmomtoone Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    My daughter was adopted in 2000 from China. She was never asked to provide ant documentation of citizenship, though I guess she checked the citizen box.

She received a scholarship and also some FAFSA money.

The only thing we needed to provide was a letter stating I am a single parent.
  • bearcatfanbearcatfan Registered User Posts: 1,026 Senior Member
    So far so good for us in terms of admissions/financial aid - accepted to her number one choice and we have accepted the financial aid package without being asked about citizenship (other than checking the boxes everyone else does).

The SS administration system does have her listed as a citizen, so maybe that is an internal check.
  • rmbmsbrmbmsb Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    This happened to us - My daughter was adopted from Russia in 2001 at 11 months old . I immediately got her a SSN and she is on her 3rd passport. When we heard from second school saying they needed additional proof - I called SSA - the block was not checked off that she was a US citizen in their system when I got her SSN. Needed to bring current card, passport, her and drivers license - filled out one form and the box got checked. In and out of SSA in half an hour. someone just forgot to check the box when they inputted data when assigning her SSN
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,328 Senior Member
    Same with my daughter (2002, Eastern Europe) and last summer we applied and received the social security card very quickly. She’s just a sophomore but I don’t want any money issues later. Son (2001 and also Eastern Europe) was fine.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,328 Senior Member
    Quick question regarding citizenship and applications. Have all of you with kids with dual citizenship included that on College apps? Wondering if it’s a plus or a minus??
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 19,584 Senior Member
    Schools don't care if there is dual citizenship. The financial aid is dependent on US citizenship.
  • DolphinnsFanDolphinnsFan Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    My daughter was adopted from China in 2001. That was before certificates of citizenship were automatically issued. I applied for and got her citizenship certificate anyway about 10 years ago. Just to be safe. She was admitted to colleges with no citizenship issues. I highly recommend getting the certificate of citizenship as a safeguard. With the state of immigration issues these days you can't be too careful.
  • Luna119Luna119 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Never thought I’d see a thread relevant to my little sister here! She’s 9 years old, one of the last healthy baby girls to be adopted from China before the program became totally focused on special needs kids. I’m forwarding this thread to my mom :) thank you for the info!
  • brooklynlydiabrooklynlydia Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    All. Social Security maintains a database that is often used for citizenship status, even though it is no more up to daye than the last time that you had contact with social security. The SSA is not responsible for determining visa status or citizenship status. That is Homeland Security's job. SSA cares about births, retirements, and deaths. There is no master database of Americans and their vitals in this country. If you are being asked for proof, most likely your child is getting flagged by eVerify.

If you are being asked to prove the citizenship of an adopted child, most likely SSA doesn't know that the citizenship process was ever completed - neither you nor ICE/INS (the old name) ever told them. All SSA's records contain is the SSN that your child was assigned when your child got residency.

The solution is to talk to SSA and prove your child's status once and for all to SSA. It shouldn't be hard because you should have the paper work. You probably got a lecture about keeping the naturalization papers in a safe place at the swearing in - I know we did. Once you get the SSA record updated, your child should stop getting flagged. It is probably good to take care of this.
  • brooklynlydiabrooklynlydia Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    "Quick question regarding citizenship and applications. Have all of you with kids with dual citizenship included that on College apps? Wondering if it’s a plus or a minus??"

Our observation was that at least one school considered our child "international" for their bragging stats at orientation. It seemed to have no bearing on admissions at all.

We included it whenever asked, and I believe the common ap does ask.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 19,584 Senior Member
    The SSA is not responsible for determining visa status or citizenship status.

SSA cannot determine citizenship status. Only USCIS (by certificate of citizenship or naturalization) or the state department (passport) can do that. The SSA can only change their records if you present either a COC/CON or a passport.