Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Internationally adopted kids applying to college


Replies to: Internationally adopted kids applying to college

  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 13,123 Senior Member
    I am curious if those who didn't have to show proof of citizenship to the college or university didn't apply for FA? I know that it was the FA office at my son's college that needed the proof. I think if we hadn't applied for it we wouldn't have been asked.
  • hs2015momhs2015mom Registered User Posts: 676 Member
    My D applied for financial aid and was not asked for proof of citizenship or any additional documentation.
  • kidzncatzkidzncatz Registered User Posts: 901 Member
    As I mentioned in my previous post, my son received both Pell and PA state grants through the community college's financial aid office with no additional documentation required. Some schools may require additional documentation for awarding institutional aid, and some states may have more more stringent documentation requirements than PA for state grants.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,504 Senior Member
    I was thinking about this more and I guess a school could require proof of citizenship (from all students) if granting instate tuition requires citizenship or legal status, or if granting its own aid does. Federal aid does require proof, but that can be done with the FSA ID, and cannot be done with adoption papers.

    I did get a passport for my daughter just before the law changed requiring 'all' parents to appear at the post office to get the passport. I think it was 2001 or 2002. Anyway, it was the easiest process and always has been to get new passports (children's don't renew, you get a new one every time). We never traveled on that one, but I used it for ID for all kinds of things that required a birth certificate because it was easier than showing and explaining the foreign birth certificate. For $100, that's only $20 year for convenience. We have since used the passports for foreign travel, and it is so much easier even when another document could be used, for cruise ships, border crossings. Shes traveled with my brother to Mexico and no questions were asked, with friends to St. Maartins and no problems. As someone else said, it was useful to get the drivers license which would have required the certified birth certificate (also required of her US born sister and me) and CofC. Passport is just easier. I really don't think I've shown anyone the CofC since she got the passport (s). If your son gets a passport before age 18, you'll have to sign for it, but after he's 18, he can go alone to the agency.

    Although Chinese and not Korean, my daughter did have to be 're-adopted' in my state and did become a citizen under the Child Citizenship Act on February 27, 2001 ( but she has a certificate of citizenship).
  • DolcegirlDolcegirl Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    My daughter adopted from China (born 1997;adopted 2003) had no problems. We did not readopt in the US, as some do. We did get her a US passport though and have kept it current. That would serve as her proof of citizenship if challenged.
  • begoodbegood Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    Our daughter (adopted from China in 2002) is in 8th grade, but the college admissions morass seems so daunting I figure there's no such thing as starting too early to learn about it!

    We got her US passport when she was 8 months old, and then we used it to get her SSN. Would that mean she is a US citizen to the SSA? I guess I'm trying to figure out how to confirm that her SSN has her listed as a citizen. Anybody know how to do that?

    We never let her passport lapse, and I've told her she must always keep her passport current as she goes through life. We do not have a C of C.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,504 Senior Member
    Her SS status should be right if you presented a passport to get the SSN, but with the SSA you never know. You can go in and check the status, or you could try to send an email and see if anyone answers. It needs to say 'citizen' not 'right to work'.

    Don't panic if her passport does expire. My daughter's had two that were issued with the old, expired passport as proof of citizenship. We used the C of C only to get the first one and have never presented it (to anyone) again. Some places will not accept an expired passport (like the DMV) but surprisingly, the passport office will and my employer, the United States of America, accepted my expired passport as my second form of ID when I started.
  • begoodbegood Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    Thank you for that reassurance, twoinanddone! We've kept all her old, expired passports too - I figure once a citizen, always a citizen. :)
  • kidsandlizkidsandliz Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    My child was originally required to show her Certificate of Citizenship. I had changed her SS number to citizen. I wanted to show her passport because we keep her C of C in a safety deposit box and the passport was handy. I argued that you have to send your C of C to get the passport. They argued that a passport doesn't show citizenship. I gave them a copy of the law. Round and round. I finally capitulated and sent a notarized copy of her C of C. That wasn't acceptable to them. I finally went over their head and notarized copy was accepted.

    Incidentally we are still fighting with the driver's license people over getting her a learner's permit since they won't accept her birth certificate from her original country - they said they need a USA one to prove citizenship and I didn't readopt here because it was not required in this case and it costs around $4000 here to do so. I showed them the child citizenship act law. Showed them the C of C. Showed them the passport (current, not expired). Nope none of those are good enough. Hoping to get her a learner's permit in whatever state she will end up in when she goes to college. This is absurd.

    Good luck to anyone who has to deal with this idiocy and the college is not nearby where you can walk in the door to show them whatever documents those fools want to see. Clearly common sense is not part of what goes on in some financial aid offices. A passport does not document date of birth and citizenship? Really? In what universe is that? Sigh.
  • kidsandlizkidsandliz Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    edited April 2016
    In response to an earlier post. If the child comes in with an IR-3 citizenshipt is automatic. If they come in with an IR-4 the adoptive parents need to adopt the child in the USA and then it is automatic. BUT the parent(s) then need to take the proof of citizenship to social security so that their social security card is in the system as citizen rather than under a green card designation. Failure to do that and their SS will be flagged as not citizen.
  • BarbalotBarbalot Registered User Posts: 666 Member
    I took every scrap of documentation to the DMV when my D was getting her learner's permit. And I have it all, including C of C and readoption. But they still wanted to hold everything up because they questioned the Chinese to English translation in her original adoption papers. They started to insist that I needed to have a state-approved translator go over it. I insisted they get a supervisor. About 45 minutes later we managed to move ahead with the permit. I have never heard of anyone else with that issue. @kidsandliz I'm sorry your D hasn't been able to get her permit. So frustrating!
  • begoodbegood Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    edited April 2016
    So for PA, where we live, to get a learner's permit, the PA DMV website says she will need to bring her original social security card (not laminated) and one of several options, including a current US passport. I guess we'll start with that when the time comes. I don't know how they can require more at the DMV than the DMV form says is required. What frustrating experiences you have had, Barbalot and kidsandliz! Grr!
  • emilybeeemilybee Registered User Posts: 13,123 Senior Member
    I don't recall there being any issue when S got his permit. He took his passport for ID. I don't even know if he took his SS card, but I doubt it. Likely just wrote the number down on the form. A few years later he got a New York State enhanced license so he wouldn't have to schlep his passport to Canada. Never an issue getting that either. I'm in NY so maybe other states require more ID.
  • oldmom4896oldmom4896 Registered User Posts: 4,027 Senior Member
    @emilybee, it wasn't a problem for us in NY either. The passport did the job. But I've heard many reports of families i other states having great difficulty.We did need the social security card but everyone needs that now and maybe for the past few years.

  • Chinamom2Chinamom2 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    We had no problem with either of our daughters in NJ....we also filed for a NJ birth certificate for them both, just a couple of years ago....no need to re-adopt, or go to court, just filed application alone with copies of all their documentation. Four weeks later they showed up in the mail! But we used passports for school, drivers license, etc.
Sign In or Register to comment.