Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Internationally adopted kids applying to college


Replies to: Internationally adopted kids applying to college

  • ammobiammobi Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    My daughter was adopted from China. FAFSA flagged her also. The schools asked to see her passport fir proof of citizenship. It was a pain but. It so bad.
  • momtoamomtoa Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Yes I had the same experience with my daughter adopted from China and born in 1999. I did get a Certificate of Citizenship for her when she was young but it turns out that Social Security had her listed as a 'legal alien' and that raised a red flag. I was able to send a scan of her C of C to the schools and that was satisfactory. But what I also did, and I recommend this, was go to our local Social Security office with all of her documents and have them change her status to 'citizen'.
  • bearcatfanbearcatfan Registered User Posts: 1,131 Senior Member
    @ momtoa

    That happened to my first daughter as well - her SS card came with "not legal to work" stamped on it. Luckily my town is small enough that I took it to the local SS office at the time and they fixed it. Same number, just the card came back the right way. With my second daughter, there was not that problem.

    I did keep a photocopy of the wrong one, just in case. Lord knows we all have a box of papers from those journeys :x
  • Deb C-VDeb C-V Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My 18yo son adopted at age 2 from Ukraine just applied to college and they asked for his proof of citizenship. He sent his passport. They want a birth certificate or copy of his naturalization papers. We don't have either because he became a citizen under the child citizenship act of 2000. I offered up his Ukrainian both certificate showing my husband and I as parents. Just sent the email, won't hear back right away.

    Anyone else face this issue? I'm afraid it has to do with our new administration and the immigration policy changes.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,491 Senior Member
    It doesn't have anything to do with the new administration, it has to do with people in the school office not knowing what serves as proof of citizenship, and a passport does. I went through this a lot with the prior administration, and even the Bush one. Government officials don't even know what they need, and a lot of school officials have no idea - they have a checklist that says 'Proof of Citizenship like a birth certificate or naturalization certificate and they don't know that a passport IS proof of citizenship.

    Print this out and show it to them: https://www.us-immigration.com/blog/u-s-passport-as-proof-of-u-s-citizenship

    or this: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/A4en.pdf'

    Now you said you sent in his passport. The school needs to see the original, not a copy. Many will accept a copy as a placeholder, but will need to see the original before they can release any aid.

    It's time for the stare down. They say they need proof of citizenship? You show them the state department webpage that states a passport is proof of citizenship. Then you wait for them to say "well, I GUESS this will work." And you say "Yes, it will."
  • sbgal2011sbgal2011 Registered User Posts: 292 Junior Member
    Agreed. This has nothing to do with the new administration, just the office people having a checklist that needs to be completed. A passport is absolutely all you need o prove citizenship. I always show the passport as proof and have never had a problem. Interestingly, I have never been asked for proof of citizenship when we applied to colleges this year. I guess it depends on the college.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,587 Senior Member
    edited May 2017
    I also went to our local social security office to get a new card with the "not legal for work in the US" removed. Funny DD was adopted one year after DS whose came in fine. Both were after 2000.

    Now on to figure out how to get birth country passports renewed...without having to go to NYC.
  • hkamy21hkamy21 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I have two children adopted from South Korea. Son home in 2000 and daughter in 2002. When we applied for their first passports in 2006, it took forever because the department of state kept asking for things we didn't have - such as the original birth certificate. They were given the Michigan birth certificate. Anyway, after going around and around, i sent a letter stating that both of our children entered the US on IR-4 visas and were eligible for passports under the Child Citizenship Act of 2001. Passports arrived home within 10 days. Fast forward to 2010 - our family moved overseas. 2016 - Certificate of Citizenship fees are expected to rise so I finally got that going and applied. Since we no longer reside in the US, I was told by Homeland Security that I needed to file the N600K. We were DENIED!!!! In the denial letter, it clearly states, "you are not eligible as you are already a citizen under the Child Citizenship Act of 2001. My 17 year old just renewed his passport which at 16 & Over is like applying as a brand new person. The first thing the lady at the US Consulate asked for was his naturalization papers. I replied.....Child Citizenship Act of 2001.....APPROVED. I've told the kids. NEVER LET THAT PASSPORT EXPIRE.
    Shame on me for not applying for that COC earlier. Learned the hard way. Now we look down the short road to college applications and FAFSA....hoping it's not too bumpy of a ride.
  • cameo43cameo43 Registered User Posts: 1,657 Senior Member
    @hkamy21 : We had similar timing and issues, had to actually get our Senator involved to get the first US passport. When we applied for the renewal, they requested every bit of documentation. I included an affidavit from the adoption agency stating the IR-4 status, etc. I fully expected a bigger hassle, but the renewal passport came about a week later with no problems. We do not have a CoC and we have not had any issues with using the passport for ID/citizenship proof.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,587 Senior Member
    Our US passports were renewed no trouble at all but I do hate parting with the original documents and despise that we must do that for them but not for DD by birth. It's true these kids should never let their US ones expire.

    We would like to give our kids the option of keeping dual citizenship so we need to renew the birth country ones. It may come in handy at some point being able to show a non US passport.
  • BarbalotBarbalot Registered User Posts: 666 Member
    edited May 2017
    I did overlook the expiration date on my D's (adopted from China in 1998) passport, but it was renewed with no problem even though it was at least six months beyond the expiration date.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,491 Senior Member
    One point of order - children's passports are not renewed. Each one is a new application. They will take the old passport to meet several requirements, such as proof of citizenship and date of birth, but when the child's passport expires, you have to do a new application, in person. One of my kids had 3 child passports, the other 2 then her first adult passport. I never had any trouble using the old one to get a new one, even when it had expired. Since the first one, I've never had to show anything but the old passport.

    Only an adult passport can be 'renewed'. You can get an adult (10 year) passport at age 16.
    The first thing the lady at the US Consulate asked for was his naturalization papers. I replied.....Child Citizenship Act of 2001.....APPROVED.

    Well, you can't just tell them 'Child Citizenship Act'. You have to show them the visa under which they entered the country, the foreign passport, the "A" number which should be in that old passport (used to be on the Green Card but usually you don't get those anymore, you get a Certificate of Citizenship".
  • bearcatfanbearcatfan Registered User Posts: 1,131 Senior Member
    I still stand by my statement that the Certificate of Citizenship is the golden ticket when it comes to matters of citizenship. It doesn't expire. I keep it in the safe deposit box, but have a copy at home, too.

    I don't regret getting them, even thought it was even more paperwork and expense. I understand they are even more expensive now (and probably have more onerous paperwork, not sure).

    I have yet to have to show anything proving anything for either daughter other than their state birth certificate (which clearly states they were born in China). That could be because I live in a smaller town (you'd think it would be the opposite?).
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,491 Senior Member
    If you have to prove citizenship for something, you won't be able to use a birth certificate and will need either the C of C or a passport.

    The only place I ever used the C of C was at the SSA as she had a SSN and card (which actual said VALID for work as we all joked that now I could put her to work at age 2) to change her status from resident alien to citizen, and then to get the first passport. Her college has never asked for any proof of citizenship. She's received federal aid and aid limited to citizens.
  • ChumomChumom Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    It seems that a lot of people are having trouble because they did not follow through with their paperwork. Our children were adopted from China in 1992 and 1998. Upon arrival in the US they were issued green cards. We applied and received SS cards for them. We readopted through the court system in our county and applied and received Revised Birth Certificates for both our daughters. We also applied for Citizenship for both our daughters. After receiving their Citizenship papers we turned in their green cards at the SS office and received new ones in the mail. My eldest daughter has graduated college and my youngest is in her 2nd year. We have never had any of these problems as mentioned on this thread. Parents of children who were made automatic citizens should have received some form of paperwork. Find out why your child's application has been flagged and correct the paperwork . Renewing a passport is not a permanent solution.
Sign In or Register to comment.