Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Parents of the HS Class of 2017 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Replies to: Parents of the HS Class of 2017 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,111 Senior Member
    ^^I would not go to such an event even if they were giving away free things. Why go when everyone else will be there? You can go at any time and have things shipped to your college location or store.
  • smakl70smakl70 Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    They are giving 20% the entire purchase plus you may be able to stack your other coupons on top of that for extra savings but I am thinking it may be a madhouse. I have braved a Walmart on black Friday though so how much worse can it be?
    ^^I always get a 20% off the entire purchase in August every year (2 kids in school). I've also been saving the 20% off one item coupons I get in the mail (BB&B always honors them, even if expired), and the $5 off a $15 purchase.

I've never known them to stack a 20% off entire purchase with another coupon, but they do allow multiple 20% off one item coupons to be used in the same transaction. If you really can stack a 20% on top of a 20%, that might be worth it but only if I were going to save A LOT, and I didn't really spend a lot on BB&B type things for college. My kids took their comforters from home, their foam pads, towels. They did get new XL twin sheets, but I found those in other places (one set new in the package at the thrift store - $3.

I'm the person who would rather pay twice as much for tickets before going to 'free' day at the zoo. No thank you. I've also given up Black Friday shopping. Used to be fun, but no longer.
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,095 Senior Member
    Allright, I braved the proxy and snagged S17's AP scores.

AP Lit was a total bust but it would have been a largely worthless credit anyway, I don't think the class it gives credit for would even be a valid elective for his major.

APES on the other hand came in at a 4 and he only needed a 3 for credit. So that's good and it should definitely count even though the class isn't required for his major (since he switched to Environmental Studies) it should be a solid major related elective credit which may also be a pre-req for some other things, I am not sure.

I also got a bit more out of the kid post orientation. He is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy with his major and college choice, it's pretty cool. Loved loved loved what he saw regarding the program and Rubenstien, and felt it really was the right call for him. He's excited, he "has" to be involved in campus wide composting for his Learning Community.

@mommdc 13 is livable but I'd rather he had 14-15. We will see, he refuses to find out until he gets there when classes start and seems to think changing things will be easy. We shall see if he is right!

Graduating on time is definitely a concern, the budget does not allow for extra time and I'd like him to be used to a full load in the 14-16 range while the scholarship requirements are a tad lower.

@techmom99 I was only thinking of BBB pack and hold for big items that are a pain to travel with like comforter, pillows, etc.

@MSU88CHEng good luck on the dueling move ins! The man cave one is arguably more work and time I'd think. SMH on the calc teacher comment!

@NolaCAR that is very helpful on the backpack! I do think S17 will want it and was struggling with how to get it there. Much as I dread going to IKEA, that would be worth it...unless they sell it online lol.

@snoozn I LOVE the new avatar! It's perfect.

@smakl70 the local BBB event is while we are on vacation and I have enough coupons that it wasn't really needed. I did pack and hold for the big items, ordered a few things sent to the house that we will fly out with us, and we will just pick out the rest of the stuff there.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,974 Senior Member
    @eandesmom, your son might get a kick out of this, in Germany where my parents live, recycling is mandatory, and they even have a bin for coffee grounds, egg shells, vegetable scraps they collect for composting.
  • NolaCARNolaCAR Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    @rbc1999 Where are you going on your vacation? It is fun to compare notes on logistics-your D has one of the shortest moves, my D has a long one, and some DC are moving all the way to Europe!

@snoozn Love your new avatar! Congratulations on your D's wedding and how nice that she is involving you in the planning. I'm sure it's bittersweet to send S18 off to Germany for his last year of HS when D17 is moving out I agree with you that your DH will regret it if he doesn't come along for move in. At first, we were only going to have 1 parent fly out with DD, but then we realized we will all sleep better having seen D on campus, in her dorm room, etc. So now all of us, including DS22, are flying out with D.

@twoinanddone I'm with you on the shopping. The last time I shopped on Black Friday was 12 years ago when my MIL wanted me to accompany her to pick out shirts for a family photo. The lines were intolerable! I prefer Cyber Monday.

@eandesmom Since we live 2.5 hours from IKEA, I ordered the blue zippered bags on Amazon. They were $6 instead of $4 but even if I lived next door to IKEA I might pay the extra $2 to not have to brave the store. I'm so happy your DS is thrilled with his major and college choice. And I hear you about not having enough in the budget for more than 4 years.

• rbc1999rbc1999 Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    @NolaCAR , we're going to Walt Disney World. We have annual passes and we'll fly on airline miles so it won't cost us a whole lot.

I took a peek at my D17's AP results. She got a 3 in Calc A/B which was what I was expecting. She won't get credit for Calc A/B (which she needs for her major) but she gets 3 math credits. She also got a 2 in APSE. THAT one was a shock since she got straight A's in the class. That is the second time she got straight A's in a class and failed the exam. I know she doesn't test well, but still. There is a disconnect when a student earns straight A's and then fails the AP exam. If she got a "C" in the class then I would be more understanding.
  • curiositycat333curiositycat333 Registered User Posts: 1,114 Senior Member
    edited July 7
    @NolaCar My son has been flying with his backpacking backpack for years. Straps and all. He simply pulls the straps and short and they will go. Never had a problem with them getting caught in conveyor belts. What he doesn't do is have anything hang outside the bag and he does make sure all of the outside straps and such tight.

Do love those blue IKEA bag though. It's a good idea. In fact I sent my son to camp with one, because for 2 months he needed more stuff. And a great idea for a cheep "duffle" for all of our kids particularly the ones flying. You can fold it up small when you get to the destination, or mom or dad can stuff in it another suitcase.

@smak170 Never been to a BB&B college event. We did do the purchase & pickup option for my daughter. But I HATE crowds and not sure if it's worth the extra $$ off.
  • tacocat333tacocat333 Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    There's an epic poem in the making about the giant conundrum that is TacoSon's AP and IB results. :-? Nothing is at it seems, though I suppose I could write a few stanzas about the puzzle of his testing out of **6** credits of history --while fervently hoping his livelihood (and my dotage) requires not a lick of calculus.
    I got my 20% off total order from BB&B today, the Back to College special.
  • smakl70smakl70 Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    @twoinanddone was it the in-store event or online? I got a 20% purchase in the mail and used it online for some things (wonder if I can use it more than once?). If it was in-store how crazy was it?
    Mine says (as they all do) that they can be used in store or online. In the store, they take away the coupon. I'd imagine the online purchase is limited to one time use.

But I save my BB&B coupons all year. Most are 20% off one item or $5 off a $15 purchase. Someone posted over on the 'Good Buys' posted that there is a 20% off sale of Kcups, so they used the $5 off to get extra savings.
  • MSU88CHEngMSU88CHEng Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    @tacocat333 I also hope neither S17's livelihood nor my retirement is dependent upon S17's calculus skills! And he also has an over abundance of AP/IB history credits--24 credits if he can use the IB credits as "general university credits", and then the AP World and APUSH will account for their equivalent courses, but he may only be allowed to use 16 credits for History. He also won't be able to use his IB Bio credits because they overlap with his AP Bio credits (the 1st year of the IB Bio HL sequence in his HS is taught concurrently with the AP Bio class, and most kids in it take the AP Bio exam...). Too bad you can't sell IB credits on Craigslist! I guess he'll see how it all shakes out next week at orientation.
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,095 Senior Member
    Almost all of my BBB coupons say in store only. It's hugely annoying.