Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

Replies to: Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

• homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 1,412 Senior Member
    Yes, It's a stretch to even call Gambier a town. It's one side of one street with one coffee house, two restaurants, and the bookstore. Didn't phase S19 though. He's looking for a college bubble I think and Kenyon could definitely be one version of that!
  • londondadlondondad Registered User Posts: 2,066 Senior Member
    "Does anyone have any thoughts on Georgetown?"

Agree with @Lindagaf - Georgetown has been mentioned quite a few times on this list. It seems to tick a lot of the usual boxes for academics, student experience, campus location, etc, but some find the campus too small, too urban, etc. For example, my son hated it and my daughter loved it was accepted this year. Have a look here and in the Georgetown threads and feel free to start a new thread in the Georgetown section if your specific questions about the school.
    @doschicos Just curious, which areas of study did you think Georgetown was not as strong in? My daughter is on a gap year so it will be a while yet before she has to enroll in next year's classes. Thanks!
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 14,473 Senior Member
    @londondad One kid was leaning toward environmental science/studies in addition to the IR which was the initial attraction. There were just many stronger programs on the list for ES (plus those application hurdles :) ).
    @doschicos Thanks for the color.
  • crepescrepes Registered User Posts: 537 Member
    Moved slightly down: U of Maryland College Park. On paper it was one of S18's top choices and we wish we'd had a better visit. We knew it was huge, but when we toured Penn State we felt very welcomed and they did a great job of showing the advantages of their size. At UMD-CP the welcome seemed lackadasical. The Admissions officer who spoke seemed nice and funny enough--when we could hear him. A lot of the time he spoke too quickly and indistinctly, and the acoustics weren't great either. The tour was ok, good enough, which was our feeling about the school overall until we went over (on our own) to the business school where we spoke with a couple of students at the information desk who were enthusiastic and informative.
  • dragonmom3dragonmom3 Registered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
    @preppedparent Why is it always about race for you?
  • 4MyKidz4MyKidz Registered User Posts: 326 Member
    @dragonmom But is what @prepparent saying true? I am very interested in the diversity and culture or lack thereof on college campuses. It is helpful to read ALL reasons for why students/parents decided against a particular campus.
  • 1518mom1518mom Registered User Posts: 386 Member
    @taliecharley I felt exactly the same way about USC. Reminded me of Stanford, too. Too pristine for my taste. I like the more lived-in look. My son hated USC so much that he wouldn't even stay there long enough to have lunch. Needless to say, he's only applying to LACs.