right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Many schools have delayed their deadlines for enrollment due to COVID-19. Check out our exclusive directory of extended deadlines we know about right now.
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Learn from Laura Reisert Kalinkewicz from RaiseMe and Charlie Javice from Frank how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes. Join us TODAY at 5pm ET. Register and ask your question NOW.

Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

Replies to: Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

• Marcie123Marcie123 425 replies33 threads Member
    Crossed off- BU- too urban and no campus. However, her sister (class of 2018) loved everything about it. Northeastern- didn't like co-op.

Moved up- Scripps. She was initially only interested in CMC but I made her tour Scripps since we traveled to Claremont. She liked it but was still on the fence about applying. She attended a 5C fair and heard admissions officers from each school, turned to me and said, "I think I'm more Scripps than CMC." She later attended a weekend diversity program, decided it was the place for her, and applied and was accepted EDII.
    · Reply · Share
  • WhereIsMyKindleWhereIsMyKindle 522 replies1 threads Member
    Moved down the list: George Washington, a perfect fit on paper. She did not like the mega freshman dorm (which we could not see) nor did she like the dining options. We will still do a second visit.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 10175 replies565 threads Senior Member
    @NUwildcat92 , I am still amazed at some of the awful tour guides we had at several colleges, form top tier to moderately selective. My D did make a conscious effort to try and forget the duds. On tours when guides underwhelmed us, we just focussed on students around us, which was more useful anyway. One tour had two guides. The guy was pompous, the girl, in training, was lovely. Thank goodness, or he might have put us off. That college is ones of Ds top choices now.
    · Reply · Share
  • YnotgoYnotgo 3880 replies58 threads Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Crossed off:
    NYU -- Decided he's not that much of a big city person. Boston ok, NY no.

Moved up:
    UC Santa Cruz -- Loved the smell of the redwood trees and the look of the campus overall.

Moved down:
    Berkeley -- Stories about difficulty getting into classes.
    edited April 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • lauriejgslauriejgs 361 replies66 threads Member
    Crossed off:
    *Haverford. Felt claustrophobic at roughly 1,200 students. Didn't like the dining-hall food, either.

Moved up:
    *Vassar. Engaging, energetic tour guide. Jaw-droppingly beautiful gothic buildings.
    · Reply · Share
  • CAorBustCAorBust 85 replies9 threads Junior Member
    For DS, crossed off Skidmore - just meh, even for a safety; felt like a well-funded state school; Colby, beautiful campus, but very unimpressed by visit to class "by one of our best professors.: Moved up: Vassar, beautiful campus, "Ivy feel" For DD: UC Santa Barbara - too spread out, felt she would get lost; moved up: Claremont Colleges (Pomona, Scripps, Pitzer) Visits incredibly useful in testing out whether kids really wanted what they thought they wanted; DD decided maybe she didn't want a large university after all; DS decided "to go for it" and skip applying to safety schools, if he didn't get in he would go to UMAss Amherst (and like it or transfer) rather than a school he wasn't excited about.
    · Reply · Share
  • lauriejgslauriejgs 361 replies66 threads Member
    @lindagaf, Rochester is on our list, too! We'll be visiting next year. I have a feeling DS will really like it.
    · Reply · Share
  • morrismmmorrismm 3390 replies182 threads Senior Member
    S was accepted at Rochester. But we never visited. From what you guys say, maybe we should have. He definitely put Carnegie Mellon lower after we visited on an accepted student weekend. The campus was ok. Not sure he was comfortable with the student population he saw.
    · Reply · Share
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits 2471 replies41 threads Forum Champion
    edited April 2016
    The biggest "movers" on our daughter's list so far happened on back to back visits this spring.

Moved down and off the "short list" - Brown. The early leader in the clubhouse after a visit with her brother a few years ago, she really was primed to like the school but just didn't feel it. Thought the open curriculum was a bit too free flowing (although at first that was a big draw), did not get a good vibe from the tour guide. Not a real fan of the freshman housing unit system either. School is a little bigger than she is really looking for at this point.

Moving on to the "short list" from only agreeing to visit because Dad was being annoying and it was kind of in between Brown and Princeton - Wesleyan. Loved the baseball field in the middle of campus, loved her tour guide (didn't hurt that the guide was rehearsing a part my daughter played last summer). Big fan of the combined MA/BA program. Liked the special interest housing. Liked the size of the school, bigger than most LACs she likes (Swat and Vassar being the others on the current short list) but smaller than some of the other schools on her list. Thought the blend of science and fine arts unique among the LACs, which was good since she seems to be gravitating to the LAC model. Thought the distributional requirements would be good but not overly limiting. Saw some kids pull a prank in the cafeteria, which she found hilarious
    edited April 2016
    · Reply · Share