Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

Replies to: Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

• oniongrassoniongrass Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    The College of Arts and Sciences at Cornell seems to be well known for foreign language study, so maybe they call "international relations" something else. Maybe that depends on what sort of international relations you want to have. There's a well-known business school, and great ice cream at the Dairy Bar. I don't know what they have for international government oriented stuff.
  • oniongrassoniongrass Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    Georgetown has a whole school, 1/3 of the university, devoted to government stuff. That's the DC part of it. It goes beyond just having an international relations department, maybe it's second in the country to the Woodrow Wilson school at Princeton.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 4,541 Senior Member
    How do we stray so far from the topic so often. Lol. I’m guilty too btw.

I’ll get back to a cross off. GW NYU and BU became drive by views as it became clear the campus wasn’t storybook enough for d.

Oh well.
  • ItisatruthItisatruth Registered User Posts: 271 Junior Member
    From recent spring break trip: Wesleyan fell off (D20 just wasn't feeling it) and Vassar moved up (I think due to low prior expectations).
  • collegemomjamcollegemomjam Registered User Posts: 1,873 Senior Member
    @oniongrass agreed that Georgetown has a lot more to offer than government....my daughter is in the business school. Couldn't be happier there all around....academics, friends, access to DC/Georgetown, professional opportunities abound....
  • kanflykanfly Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    @oniongrass We toured Cornell and my son wants to major in international relations. We asked on several occasions and they have NO international relations major, minor, global studies, etc... Was very surprising, especially since they had some really random seeming majors. The only thing closest to international relations was political science.
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 4,541 Senior Member
    edited May 9
    Do did you knock it off the list after that tour?
  • collegemomjamcollegemomjam Registered User Posts: 1,873 Senior Member
    @Kanfly or anyone else looking for an "international" major....have you toured U of South Carolina? I have read that they have an outstanding International Business program, but not sure we can get down there to see it.

• PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 7,238 Senior Member
    Why was the University of Chicago "scary" ? Intensity of academics or fear of crime ?
  • Trixy34Trixy34 Registered User Posts: 1,143 Senior Member
    edited May 9
    @oniongrass - have you carefully reviewed the Cornell course catalog? I just popped over to the Government page - there are numerous "comparative politics" and "international relations" faculty members. I'm sure it's quite possible to concentrate in international studies within the Government major, probably with an area of focus.
  • CT1417CT1417 Registered User Posts: 4,319 Senior Member
    @oniongrass -- I had not realized that IR was not a major at Cornell. I feel as though I knew people studying IR at Cornell.

Apparently there is a minor: http://courses.cornell.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=31&poid=15259
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 1,556 Senior Member
    @privatebanker lol this exactly illustrates why this thread ... “GW NYU and BU became drive by views as it became clear the campus wasn’t storybook enough for d.”
    Those were three of my D’s favorite (non)campuses, immediately! She loved the urban vibe and energy...and hated the “storybook” campuses. Horses for courses.
  • SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 1,556 Senior Member
    edited May 10
    @kanfly , second what @Trixy34 says. As a comparative example, the NYU IR department highlights that it is possible to effectively “clone” an IR major through careful course selection even if you don’t get to officially major in it (it’s an honors only course at NYU so not everyone can declare it). I’m sure one could do something similar at Cornell. Of course, as others have noted, if you want a “name” in IR there are a number of options, quite a few of which are not ranked overall as high as Cornell.
  • CADREAMINCADREAMIN Registered User Posts: 5,364 Senior Member
    edited May 10
    @privatebanker nice try, good effort. :)