right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

Akqj10Akqj10 276 replies19 threads Junior Member
edited April 2016 in Parents Forum
I'm copying the topic from an old thread. So I'll start.
Crossed off List. Bowdoin - Nervous tour guide, arrogant admissions, felt uninvited.
Moved up. Mount Holyoke - Impressive tour guide, beautiful campus and nice Dance studio.
edited April 2016
4672 replies
Post edited by fallenchemist on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Colleges your child crossed off the list after visiting, schools that moved up on the list. Why?

• oneofthosemomsoneofthosemoms 351 replies1 threads Member
    Crossed off: Cal Poly Pomona - "Just not feeling it." (I thought it was fine)
    Moved up: CSU Channel Islands - Beautiful campus, close to beaches, relaxed vibe.
    · Reply · Share
  • me29034me29034 1705 replies85 threads Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    University of Richmond was dropped after our visit. It was my D's favorite school before visiting based on Internet research and marketing materials. After visiting, she couldn't get away fast enough. She said it was full of preppy, arrogant, rich kids.
    edited April 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl 2845 replies106 threads Senior Member
    Crossed off: Brown, Trinity (Hartford), Hampshire, Providence College, Gettysburg, Union, Susqueanna
    Moved up: Amherst, Bates, Mt. Holyoke, Skidmore, UScranton
    · Reply · Share
  • Middleman68Middleman68 211 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Crossed off: Cornell, city within a city was a little disorienting for S1 at the time. RPI, didn't like the vibe. Couldn't get away fast enough. In fairness, it was a lousy, damp day.
    Moved up: St. Joe's. Terrific campus. Lots of school spirit. In the city.
    Can't figure out why it didn't move down: Northeastern. Tour guide didn't know anything. He love
    · Reply · Share
  • Middleman68Middleman68 211 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Sorry. Loved it anyway.
    · Reply · Share
  • gunnerzgunnerz 292 replies44 threads Member
    George Mason U. in Virginia. Awful tour. Saw the outsides of a bunch of buildings, went into very few.
    · Reply · Share
  • ahsmuohahsmuoh 1309 replies37 threads Senior Member
    Cows at Miami???? How far out and on what road because I am not sure where you saw cows? I advise at Miami and have never seen a cow. Horses, yes.
    · Reply · Share
  • carachel2carachel2 2986 replies25 threads Senior Member
    Lol no not AT MU.. Sorry, should've been clearer. We came in a weird way and it was literally all farmland almost right up to the entrance. For a kid who wants n urban campus it was not a good fit.
    · Reply · Share
  • fm0101fm0101 65 replies11 threads Junior Member
    OUT - Northeastern, BU, Syracuse, Binghamton - Northeastern - all they did was talk about co-op co-op co-op ad nauseam, BU - Not really a college feel just a bunch of buildings along a street in Boston. Syracuse cold and impersonal. Binghamton felt no connection, need to modernize academics centers, class rooms.
    IN - UNC CH , University of Alabama - D picked to enroll at UA after her visit, loved everything about it.
    · Reply · Share
  • mackinawmackinaw 3030 replies53 threads Senior Member
    Off list: Williams. First visit was after he was already admitted. Thought it too jockey, too isolated, too much living in a fishbowl.

On list: UChicago. First visit after admitted. Right atmosphere, major league city, strong academic program. Accepted admission offer on admitted students' day.
    · Reply · Share
  • carlson2carlson2 373 replies2 threads Member
    @carchel2 - Miami U as in Miami University in Ohio?
    · Reply · Share
  • carachel2carachel2 2986 replies25 threads Senior Member
  • lr4550lr4550 952 replies9 threads Member
    Crossed off: Williams and Swarthmore, D felt the vibe was too intense at both; Colby, D just didn't feel a connection; Carleton, a little too quirky/nerdy for her; Tufts, didn't like the Campus and location

Moved up: Middlebury, Colorado College,Bates, Bowdoin. Loved the campuses, loved the classes, loved the overall feeling when she did overnights
    · Reply · Share