right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Doing what you love vs what makes money?

14567810»

Replies to: Doing what you love vs what makes money?

• hebegebehebegebe 2657 replies37 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,694 Senior Member
    Congrats to your daughter for her initiative and drive. As for the Yale class of 2012 that I heard didn't have jobs by class day, I have no doubt that most of them eventually found good jobs.

But we must step back and realize that a degree from an Ivy, MIT, Stanford, Chicago, or even a Berkeley is a powerful signal to employers that says these are very bright people who can probably succeed at whatever is thrown at them. So in that sense you are right.

But once you drop out of the top 50 schools, that degree is not such a strong signal anymore. At that point a student has a specified major and possibly an internship or two. Switching into something completely different becomes much harder.
    · Reply · Share
  • JHSJHS 18300 replies70 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18,370 Senior Member
    There are all kinds of straw men (straw people?) in this thread. Some accuse others of arguing that the OP should study nothing else but creative writing. If anyone actually said that, I'd love to see the post identified. My strong impression is that the recommendation that the OP NOT study creative writing alone is universal. And by the same token, I am not certain anyone has said that the OP should not waste a single one of his precious credit hours studying creative writing if he wants to. Even those arguing most strongly for an employable major haven't been saying that no one should ever take a creative writing elective. (Heck, lots of them probably think it's an easy way to get an A to pad your GPA for professional school applications.)

Lots of us have been saying that every major at Princeton and other elite colleges is an employable major. No one besides those ridiculing that idea has suggested that every major makes it equally easy to find employment, that all jobs pay equally high compensation, or that employers don't look for evidence that a candidate has some interest in the work they do beyond wanting to be paid a lot to do it.

Students who care intensely about (a) having a job nailed down more than a semester before they graduate from college, and (b) getting the maximum compensation possible their first year out of college will certainly want to pursue a major, or at the least significant coursework, that involves a lot of applied math and some knowledge of substantive fields with demonstrated commercial importance, as well as obtaining an internship in the field. But not every student needs, wants, or will be able to get one of those jobs. If a recent graduate can support him- or herself, service his or her loans, and start a meaningful career, it really doesn't matter much long-term whether the graduate got a job guarantee in October or in June, or whether the graduate lives alone in a luxury apartment in a doorman building or shares a house in a funky neighborhood with five others.
    · Reply · Share
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP 16183 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    " If a recent graduate can support him- or herself, service his or her loans, and start a meaningful career" - This is the main goal of the college education and any parent would like to see some kind of plan in regard to achieving this goal. Freshman may not have a detailed plan, it may be vague, nonetheless, it should be some kind of plan with possible "alternative" options. Utilizing the superior writing skills may be a part of this plan as the great writing skills are helpful in many fields if not all.
    · Reply · Share
  • karlavvvkarlavvv 37 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    Just an update: I ended up committing to Penn (Wharton) and will be pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in Economics with a concentration in Operations & Informations Management.

Thanks to everyone who replied--I'll take each comment into consideration in the future when selecting my courses and possibly double majoring with college of arts and sciences. Preferably, I don't want to do grad school but it might become a reality if I can't get a job right away (I also don't want to rack up more debt *sigh*).
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity