right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Xanex IV line for parents of rising seniors?

luckymama64luckymama64 186 replies33 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
Junior year has been a doozy! It has been hard, but my kid has almost survived it with her GPA intact. My morning mantra is, "Its her life, its her life," and we try to stay out of it, knowing we have no control. However, going into the application process with our first born, we can't help but be anxious. I probably need a College Confidential intervention. Any advice from the experienced parents out there?
12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Xanex IV line for parents of rising seniors?

• luckymama64luckymama64 186 replies33 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    And when I say "stay out of it," we try not to be overbearing about her studying, etc. or put undue pressure. I try to be there when she asks and keep a watchful eye when I think she is too stressed out. She is highly motivated and has ambitious goals, so we try to be encouraging without seeming like we expect too much. It is so hard with a teenager! One minute she needs us, the next minute we don't understand a thing!
    · Reply · Share
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl 2845 replies106 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,951 Senior Member
    LOL, Love your thread title. If you think junior year is bad, just wait....D's senior year was crazy with college visits and applications, proms (or not), IB exams, GS Gold project. It was really, really stressful for everyone.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 8959 replies484 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,443 Senior Member
    I say, enjoy the blissful ignorance of junior year. Senior year IS worse, but because we thought junior year was supposed to be the worst, senior year doesn't seem as bad in a strange way. I am guessing this is because there really is a light at the end of the tunnel, and that light is no more high school, ever again.

I am publicly apologizing to my kid for hassling her mercilessly about getting her apps in, etc... Try not to do what I did:-)
    · Reply · Share
  • NYMomof2NYMomof2 5723 replies303 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,026 Senior Member
    DS is a senior, so I am experiencing all those "last times." And it hurts. But I am thrilled that he was admitted ED to his first choice college, and relieved that he missed much of the anxiety of senior year.

My advice would be to identify a safety school early, a school that your child loves and has a good chance of getting into. This school for DS has a 30% admission rate, so not a safety by CC standards, but his grades and scores were high for them and we knew that he had a good chance there. His super-safety was an OOS flagship, one of the top state universities, where we knew he had a 100% chance of admission. (Naviance data was clear; there were grade and score thresholds above which everyone was admitted, no randomness, and his stats were well above the thresholds.)

My second piece of advice is to get the essays done early. Besides the CA essay, DS had to write 8 essays for his ED school, and 4 each for each of his EA schools. And he found that it wasn't possible to re-use essays. He had RD applications ready, including essays, by the time the ED results came out, because we knew that it would not be possible to write good essays in two weeks, over holidays, while being depressed about rejections.

I think that the essays make a big difference. From what I've seen, many kids don't allow enough time to do a good job on them. It was not uncommon for kids to get ED rejections and not have any essays even started for ED schools. I really think that essay quality is the hidden explanation for some seemingly random admission outcomes.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76460 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,125 Senior Member
    Agree with #5 to figure out the financial plan and cost constraints and discuss them with the student before the application list is made.
    · Reply · Share
  • NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl 2845 replies106 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,951 Senior Member
    ^ Adolescent psychologist or social worker by chance?
    · Reply · Share
  • ailinsh1ailinsh1 287 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 316 Member
    No. Just battle wounds from watching DS and his friends navigate this time 3 years ago....
    · Reply · Share
    I like your advice :)
    · Reply · Share
  • luckymama64luckymama64 186 replies33 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    All such GREAT advice! I'm old school and have printed the responses, hi-lighting the points I really like! THANKS!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity