right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

How can I help my cousin get through college and make a future for herself?

harvestmoonharvestmoon 876 replies78 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 954 Member
Hi there,

I'm posting for my cousin, who is having a rough time at the moment. She graduated with a 2.something from high school in 2015 and enrolled in the local community college this past academic year. She did great and got a 3.7 GPA her first semester, but she didn't score well on this test for nurses (I don't know too much about it) and thus didn't get into her desired nursing program (I don't know much about this program, either).

She's dejected and is considering just not going back in the fall since she didn't get into her program and doesn't know what else to do. Our family owns a business she can work at (so she'll have a job), but I'm worried that she'll "settle" like all of our relatives have and not even try to do anything else (I'm one of only a few people in our family to have gone to college).

I want to help her, but I don't really know how because our situations are so different (I got merit scholarships for undergrad whereas she's starting fresh at a cc). We're in Michigan and she knows that she definitely wants to do something health related, but I don't know if she'd be able to get many scholarships from our in-state schools. I know that Oakland University has a good selection of health programs and is probably close enough for her to commute (and thus shave on housing costs), but I don't know if her parents would pay the heafty tuition of a 4-year school (they're paying for her cc tuition now).

Basically, she's going through a funk, and I don't want her to throw away a possible future because she had a bad time as a 18/19 year old. I love her very much and I just want to help, but I also don't want to overstep my bounds or put too much pressure on her.

So, how do you all think I should move forward in helping her? Should I just accept whatever decision she makes, urge her to look at other medical programs, urge her to study for the test and reapply, etc? What kind of options does a student like her have in transferring to 4 year universities/finding other cc programs? I'd appreciate your input.
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How can I help my cousin get through college and make a future for herself?

• thumper1thumper1 73323 replies3190 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,513 Senior Member
    Why all or nothing? She could get CNA certification or EMT certification...and work while she studies for this nursing test. She would have valuable experience that might bode her well in the future...and some income and responsibility as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29392 replies170 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 29,562 Senior Member
    You can encourage her to meet with the advisor for her current program, and find out more about all of her options. Is this exam that she did poorly on a one-time thing, or can she study for another semester and try again? What other medical related programs is she eligible for? Lots of people do a CNA, then continue to work while studying for their LPN, RN and eventually BSN - often with help from the hospital or clinic where they are employed.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 8973 replies485 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,458 Senior Member
    Good advice above. I can't believe that she can't study hard and take the test again. She really should sit down with an advisor on a nursing program to figure out how she can get into a program.
    · Reply · Share
  • blossomblossom 9609 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,618 Senior Member
    Agree 100% on meeting with an advisor. Health care includes Speech, OT, LPN/RN, a wide range of counseling careers, etc. One test is not determinative.

Hugs to you for trying to help. She should meet with an advisor ASAP before she gets dejected and ahead of herself....
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41300 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,745 Senior Member
    Admission to nursing is probably competitive. She can apply to other programs, see if her high college GPA helps her get in. And of course she should be able to take the test again - among those who passed, I bet many were taking the test for a second time.
    Look into the conditions for transferring to Oakland, and see if admission to the Health-related program is competitive. Can she still apply now? COuld her freshman GPA get her a scholarship, even?
    · Reply · Share
  • snarlatronsnarlatron 1595 replies45 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,640 Senior Member
    This might sound cold but you can't live someone else's life for them. Encouragement and support is fine, but she needs to take care of her own decisions and accomplishments.
    · Reply · Share
  • dadof1dadof1 680 replies16 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 696 Member
    ^Completely disagree with this statement. OP, keep doing the good work of encouraging others whom you feel need it.
    · Reply · Share
  • harvestmoonharvestmoon 876 replies78 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 954 Member
    Thanks, everyone! The test is offered once a year, so she can definitely study and take it again next time (though she's insisting that she's just not good enough...).

I encouraged her to go see her college's advising center, and I really hope she does because she seems so lost right now. She's just taking general education classes at this point (and she isn't quite full time), so I think the most logical step would be to just keep plugging along toward the associate's degree and to keep studying for the test.

I'll have to look into Oakland (and other schools) to see what their transfer scholarship and program policies are. This is really the kind of work she should be doing, but I'm hoping that if I start it for her, she'll realize it's possible and she'll become more engaged.
    · Reply · Share
  • nw2thisnw2this 2559 replies74 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,633 Senior Member
    Get her a test prep book.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41300 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,745 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    You're doing the right thing. Being a first generation student means that such help is vital to completion as the alternative is dropping out without a degree.
    Encourage her: every year thousands of students take the test, don't get the needed score, and try again, and qualify the next year.
    edited April 2016
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity