right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

College Counselor Sick of Reading about Golden Kids Getting into Harvard

Replies to: College Counselor Sick of Reading about Golden Kids Getting into Harvard

• SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 3416 replies30 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,446 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Wasn't the last potential nominee from an "average" law school Harriet Miers from SMU during the GWB admin?

LOL @Pizzagirl.

At my nice but run-of-the-mill state law school we had a woman in our class who was (imho) brilliant. Great retention *and* analysis skills. Always prepared. Sharp as I could imagine anyone being. She was also a minority and a single mom. Wish I had kept up with her because I would love to know what she is doing today. When we left law school she had some amazing offers.

ETA: I guess my point is that I have to think that there are some brilliant minds at state and lesser known, or smaller schools, in both undergrad and grad programs. Ivies aren't the only game in town. That being said, I see why people pursue Ivy need-based aid which is fantastic.
    edited April 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • hzhao2004hzhao2004 632 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 634 Member
    I don't get it. These are teenagers we are talking about. No matter which college they go to, their lives will be changed. What so special about these few schools mentioed in the article?
    · Reply · Share
  • SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 3416 replies30 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,446 Senior Member
    Great point @atomicPACMAN07.
    · Reply · Share
  • NervousDad01NervousDad01 18 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    Yes, @pizzagirl, and we know how that turned out. There were people who even used her lack of Ivy league pedigree against her.
    · Reply · Share
  • californiaaacaliforniaaa 1868 replies47 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,915 Senior Member
    1. I see a reason to send my child to one of the top-20 colleges (investment into the future).
    2. I see a reason to to send my child to an affordable state college
    3. i see a reason to send my child oversee, where education is much cheaper than in USA and it is merit-based.

To pay top dollars for private school and send your child to some regional no-name .... I am not that rich. Not even close. Not my game.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10601 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,677 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Woodlandsmom, just curious why you are glad your son isn't going to Harvard.

I support whatever fits the kid- and is most affordable. For some, an Ivy does fit, and for others, a small LAC, and for others community college followed by state university in the special admissions program, or by any other school. It is important for low income folks to know that Ivies have that incredible aid...as do a few other schools.

The media likes to concoct human interest stories. These stories are geared to low admission rates and a candidate who seems to have come behind to beat them. If admission rates are 40% OR the applicant isn't perceived as coming from disadvantage, there is no story. That's all.

Doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the experience at the college itself.
    edited April 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • alcibiadealcibiade 561 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 586 Member
    THere is so much sour grapes stuff. Sure, we shouldn't just concentrate on those who get into top universities, but why not aspire to them if they would be right for the student? While I respect life-changing experience - college certainly was like that for me, as many of my skills were under-developed - there are some students who would do best at places like Harvard. And you are dreaming if you think that their networks, their access to phenomenal resources (in particular their peers), and their high standards once within will not offer life-long decisive advantages.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity