right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

College Counselor Sick of Reading about Golden Kids Getting into Harvard

Replies to: College Counselor Sick of Reading about Golden Kids Getting into Harvard

• NervousDad01NervousDad01 18 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Yes, @pizzagirl, and we know how that turned out. There were people who even used her lack of Ivy league pedigree against her.
    · Reply · Share
  • californiaaacaliforniaaa 1868 replies47 threads Senior Member
    1. I see a reason to send my child to one of the top-20 colleges (investment into the future).
    2. I see a reason to to send my child to an affordable state college
    3. i see a reason to send my child oversee, where education is much cheaper than in USA and it is merit-based.

To pay top dollars for private school and send your child to some regional no-name .... I am not that rich. Not even close. Not my game.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 11893 replies82 threads Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Woodlandsmom, just curious why you are glad your son isn't going to Harvard.

I support whatever fits the kid- and is most affordable. For some, an Ivy does fit, and for others, a small LAC, and for others community college followed by state university in the special admissions program, or by any other school. It is important for low income folks to know that Ivies have that incredible aid...as do a few other schools.

The media likes to concoct human interest stories. These stories are geared to low admission rates and a candidate who seems to have come behind to beat them. If admission rates are 40% OR the applicant isn't perceived as coming from disadvantage, there is no story. That's all.

Doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the experience at the college itself.
    edited April 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • alcibiadealcibiade 561 replies25 threads Member
    THere is so much sour grapes stuff. Sure, we shouldn't just concentrate on those who get into top universities, but why not aspire to them if they would be right for the student? While I respect life-changing experience - college certainly was like that for me, as many of my skills were under-developed - there are some students who would do best at places like Harvard. And you are dreaming if you think that their networks, their access to phenomenal resources (in particular their peers), and their high standards once within will not offer life-long decisive advantages.
    · Reply · Share
  • mackinawmackinaw 3040 replies54 threads Senior Member
    @Hanna I also love success stories about kids who took a "road less traveled by," including sometimes a very bad road. Sometimes the sheer will to live, or to live right, drives people onto a good path. Sometimes it's a circuitous path or sheer luck, but they have the good sense to take advantage of it.
    · Reply · Share
  • californiaaacaliforniaaa 1868 replies47 threads Senior Member
    <But the kids I'm proudest of are the ones who were expelled, convicted, in rehab, etc., and are currently successful students at good schools. Hands down. I live for that. >

Hanna, please be very careful with these words. I know kids that believe that pregnancy, gang activity, and jail are great topics for college admission essay and that such gigs would _help_ them to get admission to top colleges. I've heard more than once that pregnancy is easier than top GPA and accomplishes the same, in terms of college admission. Please, don't reinforce the feeling that being expelled, convicted, and in rehab is _cool_.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 33244 replies163 threads Senior Member
    You can get a great meal at a mom-and-pop Italian place that isn't Mario Batali's Del Posto in NYC, but no one wants to read about that in the New York Times.
    Actually the NYT writes about them too.

There's a reason Harvard is Harvard. But yes, of course there are lots of other good schools too.
    · Reply · Share
  • hebegebehebegebe 2964 replies42 threads Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    I attended Catholic school, but I always thought that the father made the wrong decision. Not in terms of welcoming the son back, but in terms of holding a celebration. Never did have the courage to say so to the the nuns and priests though.
    edited April 2016
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity