Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Counselor Sick of Reading about Golden Kids Getting into Harvard

MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 36,017 Super Moderator
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/04/26/college-counselor-im-sick-of-reading-about-golden-kids-getting-into-harvard-heres-the-story-i-want-to-see/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_p1most-partner-1

An excellent article. I am honestly very happy that my daughter is going to Susquehanna University next year. Not a big name, but a really nurturing school. She found out today that she's getting a music scholarship for non-music majors. When I texted her that she'd gotten it, she called and said, "But did I get the free lessons? That's all I care about - did I get the lessons?" And I was happy to tell her she did. :) What a wonderful program! It will motivate her to stay involved with jazz piano. She'll get a total of 8 credits for the music lessons, too.

Replies to: College Counselor Sick of Reading about Golden Kids Getting into Harvard

• MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    My D's story is similar to OP's. She attended on full tuition Merit scholarship that, of course, covered couple of her minors and one of them was in fact a Music Minor that she fully enjoyed and used it for great R&R away from the rigor of her major. In addition, she was able to obtain more Merit money later based on her college GPA which covered her trip to NZ - the life long dream came true. All not at Harvard by far, but at the school that she still considers her best fit - one of our in-state publics.
  • yauponreduxyauponredux Registered User Posts: 660 Member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for the link, @MaineLonghorn. Washington Post has been doing a better job covering higher ed than the NYT lately.

Congrats to your D on the scholarship and continuing her music!
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 17,897 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    It's tough when you see that every single USSC justice went to Harvard or Yale

They all went to Harvard or Yale law schools. Only one of them went to Harvard as an undergraduate (Chief Justice Roberts, and Merrick Garland would make two), and none of them went to Yale.

Of course, it probably won't make anyone feel a lot better to know that three of them went to Princeton (Alito, Sotomayor, Kagan) and two to Stanford (Kennedy, Breyer). The other two went to Cornell (Ginsberg) and Holy Cross (Thomas). Justice Scalia was first in his class at Georgetown.

I would speculate, however, that the kind of person who later in life climbs the greasy pole to a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court is probably not the kind of person who needs -- or wants -- his or her life changed in college. From what I know, they were all pretty dug in on who they were and where they were going.

Don't get me wrong, though. I agree with everything in this thread and the article. People should stop acting like four or five schools are the be-all and end-all. They just aren't.
  • blossomblossom Registered User Posts: 8,932 Senior Member
    I read the Times regularly and sorry to say I see plenty of mentions of SUNY's (particularly Stonybrook in science contexts and Albany in political discussions and Purchase in music/theater) and LOTS of mentions of Bard, Sarah Lawrence, CUNY particularly Baruch, Fordham (most often for performing arts) etc.

Reporters can't claim that a Federal judge is a graduate of Seton Hall if in fact said judge went to Harvard. But I don't see the obsession that you guys see in this particular newspaper.
  • SouthFloridaMom9SouthFloridaMom9 Registered User Posts: 3,443 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    They all went to Harvard or Yale law schools.

Sorry, thought that was implied . . . guess it isn't necessarily.

But why do they *all* go to Yale or Harvard law (at least the current slate)? Do we not turn out USSC worthy justices who might have gone to Michigan, or University of Florida law schools? That seems hard to believe. Maybe we need some people who have lived more "normal" lives (as accomplished as those top lawyers from state schools are) sitting at the top.

Just an aside.
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl Registered User Posts: 40,488 Senior Member
    Wasn't the last potential nominee from an "average" law school Harriet Miers from SMU during the GWB admin?
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,023 Senior Member
    There is a thread now on CC in which a Harvard freshman is "severely disillusioned" with his college experience at Harvard. He says the classes are awful and his fellow students act like they are still in high school.
This discussion has been closed.