Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Anyone sending a "Finals" Care Package?

NEPatsGirlNEPatsGirl Registered User Posts: 2,950 Senior Member
I'm trying to decide what to put in D's last care package for this year and I'm looking for ideas. I picked up her favorite powdered donuts (she is always watching her weight so that's a big treat for her), a cute pair of PJs, and an adult coloring book. She called last night and was so excited to tell me that they have five days off to study before the finals begin and so she'll have some down-time. What, if anything, are you sending?

Replies to: Anyone sending a "Finals" Care Package?

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,829 Senior Member
    I took the easy way out and sent a box of nuts and a snack pack from Amazon. I was going to pack my own, but just didn't want to pay the $20 for postage, plus I was a little late as her last day of classes was yesterday and her finals start Monday. She has her last game tomorrow so if the package gets there today she'll have snacks for the bus.

My daughter's mail takes forever to get there if I send it to the school, so I've been sending everything to her boyfriend's address all year. That cuts off 2-3 days from the school delivery.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 3,959 Senior Member
    I usually do tea, hot chocolate, his favorite power bars and some chocolate.
  • dolphnlvr6dolphnlvr6 Registered User Posts: 919 Member
    I sent one to my son that included power bars, pop-tarts, beef jerky, nuts, chocolate chip cookies, microwave mac&cheese, goldfish and swedish fish.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 11,247 Senior Member
    Parmesan cheese goldfish, some cherry dark chocolate granola bars, sweet potato chips, Reese's snack mix. I can send a regional priority medium box for under $10 and she gets it the next day. She was really surprised and delighted with her package the other day.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,476 Forum Champion
    Every semester I send homemade cookies before finals.
  • cmb1828cmb1828 Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    I didn't send one for 1st semester, but since we're going down the weekend before finals to move his stuff back home (leaving him for finals week with whatever he can take on a plane) I'll probably take some homemade treats, soda, snacks for his suite. We'll be moving the fridge & microwave out, so nothing that needs heating or refrigeration. I always wanted to be one of those moms who comes up with great care packages, but frankly, I'm really bad at it. :p
  • dolphnlvr6dolphnlvr6 Registered User Posts: 919 Member
    Oh I always ship care packages in flate rate boxes and they get from PA to LA in 2 days.
  • LVKrisLVKris Registered User Posts: 545 Member
    I just sent the last one a few days ago. A big birthday cake to share with the roomates.

Birthday, finals, and graduation all within a few weeks. No more undergraduates to shower with goodies :(

Is it OK to send care packages to grad students? - lol.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 20,369 Senior Member
    @dolphinlvr6 Last time I sent a flat rate box from New England to the Rockies it took 6 days!! X(

I always do homemade, homebaked stuff.

Yes to grad students, @LVKris! They're still our babies.
  • travelnuttravelnut Registered User Posts: 1,955 Senior Member
    You've got me nostalgic. Always sent a generous box of home-made baked goods to share, travel size shower gel or body lotion, nuts and an upbeat note to DD. Very much appreciated.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,829 Senior Member
    Oh I always ship care packages in flate rate boxes and they get from PA to LA in 2 days

Yep, that's what is supposed to happen, but it doesn't. She's in a smaller town so that adds 1 day to the priority mail package. Once I sent a priority mail package and it took 5 day. No explanation, just delivered on the 5th day. Anything that goes to the school goes into some 'mail hell' and it takes them 1-2 days to send her a notice that she needs to pick up a package. All in it can add 2-3 days onto anything I send. Last year I had popcorn tins shipped to 4 kids at different colleges. Monday was a holiday but the kids in Wyoming (dorm) and California (apartment) got them on Monday, kid in Colorado (dorm) on Tuesday, and my little Florida kid got hers on Friday and had to walk across campus to the central mail room to get it and haul it about a mile to her dorm. All packages were mailed from Illinois. I've learned just to send stuff to her boyfriend's apartment, and that only takes 1 extra day (except when it takes 5). I sent some documents to a FA officer at her school and it came back to me about a month later as 'undeliverable.' Person's name, department, right address on it. Mail hell.

But she got one package today and called. "Did you send me peanuts? Why? I couldn't figure out who they were from? Why did you send them?" (the second package they wouldn't leave so she has to pick it up at Fed Ex) There is no easy way to get stuff to them, and for $13-20 for a priority mail box, I'll let Amazon do the shipping.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 20,369 Senior Member
    @twoinanddone For me, it took USPS the whole 6 days (and of course they don't guarantee!). Kid's college mailroom is actually on top of things and gets them to the child by the afternoon of the day they sign for it. $18 and 6 days. No wonder USPS has issues. Homebaked things are stale by then.
  • InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Registered User Posts: 1,704 Senior Member
    I also can't get homebaked items there in an edible manner. Last year during finals I sent some baskets from Popcorn Factory to D's suitemates - she had surgery and the girls helped her out a lot, so I wanted to give them something enjoyable during finals. I save the homebaked items for when I'm going in person or when she will be home.
  • ciervociervo Registered User Posts: 940 Member
    I just sent a care package to my daughter from iHerb.com containing a bag of almonds, a bag of macadamia nuts, a gourmet chocolate bar, a box of Kind bars and a box of Yogi stress relief tea. IHerb has free shipping for orders of $20 or more. I placed the order on Tuesday and it will arrive across the country via UPS tomorrow, Friday.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,999 Senior Member
    I have never sent a care package. My kids have asked me every once in a while for a massage to unwind.
    My kids also never felt they had enough time during their study period. They were usually very stressed during that period. D2 is in her final semester, but I could still feel the intensity building up.
This discussion has been closed.