right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Guaranteed Sophomore Transfer Admission Offers

Replies to: Guaranteed Sophomore Transfer Admission Offers

• CADREAMINCADREAMIN 5367 replies99 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,466 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    edited April 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 8837 replies472 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,309 Senior Member
    I know two students who were offered the guaranteed admission as sophomores to Cornell. Both declined to take it up. One is a happy freshman at U Del, the other has just accepted to Tulane. The idea of transferring is unappealing I think to many students.

And re gaming the system, no surprise to anyone but NEU are the champs at this. My D has two friends, both deferred EA, both accepted RD, but one was accepted to study abroad for the fall semester, and start in the spring. She has taken the offer, and frankly, she is thrilled to be going abroad fresh out of high school. The other was offered a small amount of merit aid, but only starting in sophomore. These tactics make me a little suspicious of how good NEU actually is, tbh.
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12656 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,685 Senior Member
    @Hanna, however, that 3.8 GPA can also be gained at a CC, and students have choices in terms of which classes to take.
    · Reply · Share
  • am9799am9799 909 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 936 Member
    Concerning first semester abroad: Do the stats of those students count in to the freshmen class? I thought those students were registered as full time freshmen and not as transfers. I have no ties to Northeastern but I always thought that the reason they do this is the massive coop system they run so they have a lot of movement and empty seats spring time. I was viewing this tactic more as maximizing capacity than gaming the system.
    · Reply · Share
  • CADREAMINCADREAMIN 5367 replies99 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,466 Senior Member
    @hanna they actually have 3.6 in the TTP guide, but they tell engineering TTP applicants 3.8 at their meetings in the summer, so as mentioned, it can differ by school. But 3.6 is the lower threshold they put in print.
    · Reply · Share
  • HannaHanna 14863 replies42 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 14,905 Senior Member
    WOW -- so the 3.8 is expected of first-semester freshmen taking an engineering core?

That kind of performance is pretty rare, even for a well-prepared kid at community college. And remember that USC is asking this of kids whose HS credentials didn't make the cut. This has to be primarily a way to gently reject legacies or other special groups, not a way to admit sophomores.
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12656 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,685 Senior Member
    @Hanna, USC does take in a ton of transfers, though.

They may just want to make sure that the TPP transfers meet the same standards as the regular transfers.
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14633 replies974 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15,607 Senior Member
    The Northeastern NUIn program does not harm other colleges' retention and graduation rates which the Cornell guaranteed transfer option does harm. Also, I assume these Cornell transfers' stats were not quite up to the stats that Cornell submits to USNews.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76083 replies663 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,746 Senior Member
    Hanna wrote:
    WOW -- so the 3.8 is expected of first-semester freshmen taking an engineering core?

That kind of performance is pretty rare, even for a well-prepared kid at community college. And remember that USC is asking this of kids whose HS credentials didn't make the cut. This has to be primarily a way to gently reject legacies or other special groups, not a way to admit sophomores.

However, 3.8 is probably the ballpark of what is needed for a transfer student to get into an engineering major at UCLA or UCB, which USC probably think of as peer competition, even though all three schools admit substantial numbers of transfer students.
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3689 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,755 Senior Member
    Concerning first semester abroad: Do the stats of those students count in to the freshmen class? I thought those students were registered as full time freshmen and not as transfers.
    No. They are not enrolled. They are considered spring admits; therefore, their scores are not counted in the entering fall class, which is what counts for the rankings.

Other programs that I know of:
    -University of Maryland, College Park -- Freshman Connect
    -Middlebury -- Febs

I'd love to get a list going.
    · Reply · Share
    The list might be long. I know UMass Amherst offers Spring admission to wait list students and that Colby College has first semester abroad program. There was a long thread about the Colby program just few weeks ago.
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14633 replies974 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15,607 Senior Member
    Interesting that Northeastern gets a lot of grief here on CC for its NUIn program (and that Boston Magazine article that everyone has read) yet is seems that a lot of colleges have a variation on that type of alternative admission option, including some very prestigious schools e.g. Cornell.
    · Reply · Share
  • AidaAida 252 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 269 Junior Member
    Notre Dame has the Gateway program, where 30-40 (?) kids do their freshman year at Holy Cross across the street before transferring. This approach is a little different than the others, because all the kids are starting at the same school, taking core classes together, they get to take one class at Notre Dame as freshmen, and they can participate in Notre Dame clubs etc as freshman. So they come in as sophomores very comfortable with the campus, and with a group of friends.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity