right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

University of Washington Cheer Requirements

Replies to: University of Washington Cheer Requirements

• GoNoles85GoNoles85 730 replies51 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 781 Member
    edited May 2016
    By the way, the university took the thing down and issued the standard politically correct comment just to move on to other more important business. Not even worth fighting about. Save your outrage for real issues IMHO.
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • HannaHanna 14863 replies42 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 14,905 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    "They would compete at their own cheer tournaments, not perform on the sidelines of other sports' games."

False distinction. College cheer tournaments are made up of squads that do sideline cheers. The same people do both. If any colleges are putting together competition-only squads, I haven't heard of it, and they aren't making it to the national championships. (Competition-only "all-star" squads come from private gyms, not schools.) Big football schools in the SEC and big 10 dominate the cheer championships.
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • jonrijonri 7256 replies134 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,390 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Look at the photos of the U of Washington football team. http://www.gohuskies.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=126613&SPSID=749528 You will note the team is more racially diverse than the cheerleaders.

Is the U of Washington so stupid that it doesn't realize that some "minority" football recruits are going to run in the opposite direction when they visit and see an all white cheerleading squad? I doubt that many of them are going to tell the Huskie coaches, but minority players with choices who visit check the visuals too. And when the team has minorities, but the coaches, the trainers, and the cheerleaders are all white....the minority players with choices are going to go elsewhere.

The NCAA championship cheerleaders for the 4th straight year are from U Michigan...which has cheerleaders from different ethnicities and with different body types. UWashington might want to take note.

edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36272 replies644 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36,916 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    You sure sound like a 17 year old guy. Men have NO IDEA what it is like to be a woman who is ogled by jerks. I loved the moment when a guy ogling my daughter turned his head and walked into a parking meter. Karma. Wish it would happen more often.
    edited May 2016
    Post edited by fallenchemist on
    · Reply · Share
  • MomOnALaptopMomOnALaptop 261 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 270 Junior Member
    edited May 2016
    What's particularly icky is the prescriptive nature of what constitutes good-looking. False eyelashes and a fake tan meet the bar, but lips without lipstick are unattractive? Being eye candy, at least as part of the "job," is fine. Johnny Depp is eye candy. Jennifer Lawrence is eye candy. Any woman athletic and fit enough to be a cheerleader will be good-looking enough to, IMO, be eye candy; it comes with the territory of being healthy and glowing and all that.

But the notion that a particular, stamped-out-of-the-mold look should be privileged over other slightly different (but equally fit) looks isn't about eye candy. It's about the embedded assumption that the only flavor of eye candy that is really okay is Barbie flavored. Frankly, that's not just dehumanizing for women -- it also makes a pretty insulting assumption about what the guys in the stands are able to perceive as "attractive," too.
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • GoNoles85GoNoles85 730 replies51 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 781 Member
    @ 49,

I like being ogled. I can think of far worse problems. I'm still waiting for your reply or LesMa's reply as to how men have any power over cocktail waitresses or cheerleaders.You have to stretch really far to make your case that men are evilly controlling what the cocktail waitresses and cheerleaders do and say and you also make the assumption that the cheerleaders and cocktail waitresses do not enjoy what they are doing. Men have so much power that they force them to be there, against their own will, and make them dress and behave a certain way.

I don't know how.

I usually sit up in the stands and watch my sons play (the youngest just finished his football playing days last season).

I have nothing to do with who makes the squad or what they do down there.

But, as ridiculous and false as those assertions are, it gets worse. You, in #49, then say men have no idea what it is like to ogled. How do you know that? Did you even read my posts on this thread at all? Do you really think men don't have body issues? Why do you assume only women do?

Good looking people, of both sexes, have it easier.

I'm not sure why I am replying on point you don't or can't.

· Reply · Share
  • northwestynorthwesty 3408 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,417 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    "If any colleges are putting together competition-only squads, I haven't heard of it, and they aren't making it to the national championships."

That was the direction some colleges like Maryland and Oregon and Quinnipiac were taking in an effort to have cheer be recognized as an NCAA sanctioned varsity sport. One of the key distinction in that effort was that you didn't perform on the sidelines for other teams..

That effort came to a halt I guess when Quinnipiac lost its title ix lawsuit. With a federal judge ruling that, at this point, cheer is not a sport as a legal matter.

edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • T26E4T26E4 23243 replies1031 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    The NCAA championship cheerleaders for the 4th straight year are from U Michigan

The NCAA does not have a cheerleader competition. Competition cheer is the purview of the NCA and the UCA -- two private organizations since Cheer is not a "sport" (see the discussion above). The UofMich has won the championship in its division (Intermediate Coed D1)-- but it's not the most competitive division. Basically, schools can enter whatever skill level they want to enter, regardless of their size. Not trying to hate on them but there are multiple "champions" for the various divisions.

For the NCA, the most competitive division is D1A and the University of Louisville won both the Coed and All-Girl championships. Univ of Oklahoma finished 2nd in both, too.

For the UCA coed Div 1A, Univ of Kentucky won (Univ Central Fl was 2nd) and All-Girl was won by Indiana (Alabama was 2nd). But the top 10 are a wide variety of schools, not only the Big 10 and SEC.

These schools would be recognized the true national champions. Hope this helps. Hope this hasn't veered too much from the original post's intent. But the level of athleticism is off the chart, IMHO.

edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • jonrijonri 7256 replies134 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,390 Senior Member
    @T26E4 Thanks for the correction. Obviously, I know zilch about cheerleading.
    · Reply · Share
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 7168 replies77 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,245 Senior Member
    @soccerguy315

You are thinking only of the huge stadiums for the top programs, and that is only football. That covers about 1-2% of what cheer squads do. And if it is only for objectification, then why have male members? Despite the previous comments, I really don't think most women attending the games ogle the male cheerleaders.

So no, it clearly isn't the whole point by a long shot and to the extent it remains part of it, there is no reason to help such antiquated values along.

@fallenchemist

I disagree strongly.

Cheering in the big stadiums (UW has a big stadium, FWIW) is where the vast majority of their visibility is. That is where they are in front of tens of thousands of people and representing the school.

How many people will see them at a football or basketball game vs. any cheer competitions? You know there are marching band competitions too, right? But most people see them at football games.

The male cheerleaders are there to make the females look good (i.e., lift them, catch them, etc).
    · Reply · Share
  • HannaHanna 14863 replies42 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 14,905 Senior Member
    "The male cheerleaders are there to make the females look good (i.e., lift them, catch them, etc)."

There's some truth to this; it's a pretty good parallel to ballet or pairs figure skating. There are male stars in all those disciplines, though.
    · Reply · Share
  • fallenchemistfallenchemist 24269 replies860 discussionsHonorary Super Mod Posts: 25,129 Inactive
    edited May 2016
    @soccerguy315

The failure of the logic is stunning. Forget cheer competitions, as others have said that is something else entirely. But for everything else, if what you are saying is true, then why do schools that have small stadiums and are rarely or never on TV have cheerleaders at all? Remember, the statement being questioned is
    isn't the whole point of cheerleading at athletic events objectification?
    Yet they send the cheer squads to all sorts of less attended events, including the female sports such as basketball, volleyball and soccer where often the majority attendance is female. Your contention that objectification is the whole point just doesn't hold up, and is really insulting to those that participate.
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • barronsbarrons 23029 replies1951 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 24,980 Senior Member
    Udub has had many Asians on the squad for years. Hardly "all white"

http://uwspirit.com/meet-the-team/
    · Reply · Share
  • MagnetronMagnetron 2640 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I live near UW and have been to basketball and volleyball games. From what I could tell, the Huskies' squad has two portions to it - the co-ed squad with the flyers (an ex co-worker's daughter was one), and the all-female squad who do the choreographed dances. The flyers are pretty good, the dancers are, gosh, not at the level of the better groups I have seen. Lots of shuffle/hair flip/hip rotate choreography. Some of the dance group look like they could be flyers, and some would never be. There is a separate dance group called the Dawg Squad who are better.

The cheer group come from a competitive cheer background and would know the rules, written and unwritten, for showing up for tryouts. The dance group would come from a bigger variety of backgrounds and would need a few more hints. Most cheer groups have a graphic similar to what UW put out, maybe less public, maybe less direct, but the essence is the same. They are looking for a certain type of physically attractive and petite female. The males, to make the team, just need to be able to do the lifts.

One effect of living up near the 48th parallel is that, by the end of April, white skin has evolved to that translucent, glow-in-the dark, fish underbelly white. It makes you look ill. What they are asking, while purposely avoiding mentioning race, is to get a spray tan if your skin is that pallid. It would not apply to anyone with naturally darker skin.

"Girl About Town" is the official lipstick color of the UW Spirit squad.
    · Reply · Share
  • T26E4T26E4 23243 replies1031 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    Normally, schools actually have three squads. A coed cheer squad, an all-girl cheer squad (both with the stunts and tumbling) and a "spirit" squad which is more dance choreography focused and almost always, all-women. Some schools may have a pom-pom squad in place of the "spirit" or "dance" squad -- again, their performances are dance-focused vs. the stunting of the coed and all-girl cheer squads. Hope this helps
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity