right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

University of Washington Cheer Requirements

1235»

Replies to: University of Washington Cheer Requirements

• barronsbarrons 23029 replies1951 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 24,980 Senior Member
    I dont consider the dance teams to be cheerleaders anymore than I consider the flag carriers part of the marching band.
    · Reply · Share
  • northwestynorthwesty 3408 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,417 Senior Member
    FYI, the poster in question was posted by UW "Cheer and Dance" and was for tryouts for both the cheer squad and the dance squad. Both squads are run by the same single organization.
    · Reply · Share
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 7168 replies77 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,245 Senior Member
    But for everything else, if what you are saying is true, then why do schools that have small stadiums and are rarely or never on TV have cheerleaders at all?

because it is part of the football culture. The same reason there AREN'T cheerleaders at soccer games. It's not the culture. I don't think this is good, I just think it... is.

Not sure if you have watched professional hockey recently, but they have started having cheerleading type females, and the males in track suits that used to clean the ice during commercials have been replaced by females in skimpy outfits.

it is ridiculous.
    · Reply · Share
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 7168 replies77 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,245 Senior Member
    I dont consider the dance teams to be cheerleaders anymore than I consider the flag carriers part of the marching band.

fwiw, the "flag carriers" (assuming you don't mean people standing with the american flag) are an integral part of competitive marching band, and they have their own competition circuit in the winter, like: https://youtu.be/y5yLYnnz63Y?t=120 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2YhXg9je2Q
    · Reply · Share
  • gouf78gouf78 7746 replies23 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,769 Senior Member
    Did anyone here actually read the poster. There isn't anything on it out of line. Except maybe spray tan if you happen to be a ghost. Half of the requirements are wear make up and the other half say don't wear too much. So not close to 29 points. Some are uniform tryout requirements. Not much to ask.
    You don't pull hair back or slicked down simply so your face has a frame. Short hair can be teased if it needs to be fuller.
    Wear black shorts for uniformity. The make up guidelines are for uniformity also and so you can be seen. You need to be seen from a long distance. It's a team effort. You don't get to be the one in bright orange when everyone else is in green.
    Nobody said a height. Nor weight. But being athletic is part of the deal--it's a given.
    More much ado about zip. If you don't want to join start your own club.
    · Reply · Share
  • HannaHanna 14863 replies42 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 14,905 Senior Member
    "If you don't want to join start your own club."

This is a university-run, adult-led group, not a student club.

"Wear black shorts for uniformity."

Right. The national championship squad at U of Kentucky is able to manage tryouts with auditionees in shorts and T shirts. No bare midriffs involved at any stage.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity