Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

2016 Where did your 2100-2200 SAT child get in?

Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 36,453 Super Moderator
This discussion was created from comments split from: Where did your SAT 2100-2200 child get in?.

Replies to: 2016 Where did your 2100-2200 SAT child get in?

• 4nia4ever4nia4ever Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    edited April 2016
    2150 SAT
    Accepted: Johns Hopkins (attending), UCLA, Emory, Colby College (presidential scholar), Case Western Reserve ($22.5 K scholarship + Baker Nord scholar) UCSD, UCI, SF State

Waitlisted: Carleton, Middlebury, Williams, WashU, UChicago, UC Berkeley

Rejected: Pomona, Duke, Cornell
  • sbjdorlosbjdorlo Registered User Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    For a student I worked with: 2150 SAT Female Engineering

Accepted: USC, UCLA (attending), UCSB, UCD, UCSD, Cal Poly SLO

WL SCEA and then denied: Yale

Denied: Stanford, Harvard, Vandy, Cornell, UCB
  • SoCcErTrAcK2016SoCcErTrAcK2016 Registered User Posts: 213 Junior Member
    2160 SAT
    Female Engineering

Accepted: Case Western Reserve University (attending), Northeastern University, Clarkson University (honors college), RIT (honors college), Worcester Polytechnic Institute, SUNY Binghamton(honors college), SUNY Buffalo (honors college)

Deferred: MIT

Rejected: MIT
  • boudersbouders Registered User Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    33 ACT
    Female STEM

Accepted: Santa Clara U, University of Toronto

Rejected: Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Harvey Mudd, USC, NYU and a couple of others
    I feel like it would be even more helpful if people put u/w and w GPA (and maybe ECs?).
  • palm715palm715 Registered User Posts: 825 Member
    32 ACT, 4.0 UW, minimal ECs, cobbled together public on-line charter school/dual credit at comm college, female, engineering

Accepted: Northeastern (attending), Case Western, U of Rochester, Stevens, Co School of Mines, Union, U of NH, Temple

Rejected: Olin (after making it to Candidate's Weekend), Brown (deferred ED first), USC, Columbia, Standford
  • extrapeppermintextrapeppermint Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    32 ACT, 3.75 GPA, decent ECs, good essays

Accepted: Boston University (attending), NYU, Pitt, Ohio State, UNC Chapel Hill, Fordham

Waitlisted: Boston College, UChicago, Barnard

Denied: Columbia
  • TheAtlanticTheAtlantic Registered User Posts: 1,973 Senior Member
    32 ACT / 2160 SAT (school average is a 19/1400)
    GPA was a 4.0 (99.3 I think)

ECs were mostly leadership, state ranked in all activities. Essays were honest but not groundbreaking. URM Hook, so do with that what you may.

Accepted everywhere: Vanderbilt (Chancellor's - Attending), Georgetown, Emory (15K merit), American (14K Merit), Tulane (30K Merit), UGA (Zell Miller), Howard (Founders).
  • ylimekcajylimekcaj Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    Female Mech. Eng. 32 ACT/ 4.2 GPA/750 Math 2, Avg/Good EC's
    Accepted: CU Boulder (attending) Cal Poly, UCSB, UCI, Chapman, U Washington, Purdue
    Waitlisted: UCSD, UCD
    Rejected: USC, UCLA
  • exlibris97exlibris97 Registered User Posts: 1,039 Senior Member
    A student I was working: 1950 SAT. GPA 3.78 (UW). Private, boarding school. Non recruited or hooked.

Accepted: Pomona, CMC, Dartmouth, Wellesley, NYU, Cal, UCLA, UVA.
    Rejected: Barnard, Penn
    Waitlisted: Brown
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    D. did not apply to any Elite college despite of the push from her GC. She attended one of our in-state public on full tuition Merit scholarship, had great time there, graduated as a top pre-med in her class and had great choices of medical schools that accepted her. She did not use her SAT anyway, she felt that her ACT score of 33 was better.
  • 2muchquan2muchquan Registered User Posts: 2,030 Senior Member
    ^ 2016 Miami
  • exlibris97exlibris97 Registered User Posts: 1,039 Senior Member
    @MiamiDAP What matters is that she had a great time, did well, and went on to be successful. What more can you ask?
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Registered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    2much,
    I wanted to draw attention to the fact that where one gets in is not as important as what one achieves at ANY place. And for that the year is irrelevant. My apologies for not being clear about it. Thank you exlibris for understanding the point that I was making despite of my apparently not very clear message.
    edited May 2016
    @exlibris97, what would you say contributed to your students acceptances? I've not seen those kind of results fora student with that SAT or GPA before on an unhooked student. I worked with a student who had a 1700 SAT and got into UCLA and USC, but student was Hispanic and had a very specific talent (photography) portfolio.

I did work with an unhooked student this year with a 28 ACT that got into UCB, but didn't get into any other reaches (Ivies, UCLA, BC, etc). Was WL at Wake. Student had a dance supplement, but it wasn't strong as it was at the last minute.
This discussion has been closed.