right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

To move or not to move - need advice

13»

Replies to: To move or not to move - need advice

• lcb56787lcb56787 37 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    It seems bizarre that a top 10% kid could go to bottom 40% no matter how the GPA is re-weighted. If the highest grade is an A in her old school, wouldn't that translate to a 4.0 unweighted?
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76083 replies663 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,746 Senior Member
    lcb56787 wrote:
    It seems bizarre that a top 10% kid could go to bottom 40% no matter how the GPA is re-weighted. If the highest grade is an A in her old school, wouldn't that translate to a 4.0 unweighted?

It is not unheard of for Texas school districts to reweight grades unfavorably for incoming students from out of district in order to protect the class ranks of existing students, for obvious political reasons.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/15975268#Comment_15975268
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/16383535#Comment_16383535
    · Reply · Share
  • carachel2carachel2 2952 replies23 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,975 Senior Member
    ^^^^ yep. We have a few who moved into district from private schools because they thought the "lower ranked" public school would be favorable on their GPA and rank.

It did not work out in their favor. If you have to move then you have to move. If it's optional and you have a high stats kid where you currently are... Stay there!
    · Reply · Share
  • collegeandicollegeandi 194 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 197 Junior Member

UCB has explained earlier in the best possible way.

Most Texas school districts translate A's as 95% making it A and not A+. They give 6 points for APs, 5 for H and preAP and 4 for regular. Many of these schools are very competitive and the students and parents plan the courses since middle school to be able to maximize the GPA in HS.

All the counselors were very co-operative and clear in their communication about the facts. I can't thank them enough!

I will second what @carachel2 has mentioned here from my experience.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity