right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

I seek wise advice

Replies to: I seek wise advice

• anomanderanomander 1645 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,649 Senior Member
    English is the OP's 2nd language, so I think we can cut him a little slack. His English is for sure much better than my Hindi.

For the OP, if you're planning on majoring in a STEM field like astrophysics you must have some inkling of what it's like to read/write a technical science paper. With those types of papers you organize your presentation logically and you stick to basic facts without a lot of extra description. You write as briefly as possible in order to make your point.

I think if you adopt that model for your posts (and college papers) your writing will be much easier for people to understand and will be better received.

The English classes you've taken have apparently taught you both incorrect use and definition of many adjectives, so it might be best to try to stick with the facts as much as possible and minimize your use of adjectives. This is why you've seen some posts questioning your application essays and potential for success at writing papers at a college level. I don't think you'd necessarily flunk your humanities classes at an elite university, but the writing requriments would be challenging.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10576 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,652 Senior Member
    I do not understand the responses to post #40. I saw nothing wrong with it at all. In fact, I am surprised by the tone on this thread in general. And I don't think the writing style of the original poster is unusual for an international student.

To the OP: I think that Hofstra is not a good idea. You threw it in at the last minute simply because they have rolling admissions that are still open. Countless schools would be a better fit. (Check out the book and website "Colleges that Change Lives." Look at Clark U. for instance.)

I think you should either go to Princeton (or possibly Yale, but I think Princeton would be better for your interests) or take a gap year and reapply to more schools that might give you merit aid.

The cost difference between those top schools and Hofstra does not justify choosing Hofstra in my opinon.

Clearly your family has the funds.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 73017 replies3179 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,196 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Does the family have the funds? They might HAVE the funds...but if that is the case, why the last minute application to Hofstra at all? Maybe the family doesn't want to spend those funds!
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • mathyonemathyone 4191 replies34 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,225 Senior Member
    I think your chance of getting in to a US graduate program will be higher if you attend one of the top U's in India rather than Hofstra. I'm assuming that you must be one of the top students in India and quite advanced in STEM to have gotten into those top colleges. Have you looked at the curriculum offered by Hofstra? Do they even have enough high level courses for you? How many astronomers do they have? (I think one or two?). It's true that there are many fine Universities in the US and you don't have to attend Princeton or Yale to get a great education but schools like Hofstra are not known for turning out high powered research scientists.
    · Reply · Share
  • HRSMomHRSMom 4594 replies49 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,643 Senior Member
    This is a tough one, because I suspect OP would apply to more/different schools after learning all he has learned:(

Do what you think is right and don't look back. (personally, I would see If I could make one of your top schools work, or take a gap year. I think some of the issues with Hofstra is that you might be better off at SUNY Stoneybrook for under $30k. There are a number od better schools you could pay less at. Alabama might even be free...)
    · Reply · Share
  • patsmompatsmom 4144 replies501 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,645 Senior Member
    I do not understand the responses to post #40. I saw nothing wrong with it at all. In fact, I am surprised by the tone on this thread in general.

@compmom, the OP made a rude post to Blossom that the mod edited out.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10576 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,652 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Oh okay- it did seem as if I was missing something.
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • ScreenName48105ScreenName48105 495 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 517 Member
    A couple of thoughts from a daughter of a pair of PhD research scientists.

If you want to do scientific research, especially within academia, the name of your school matters. It used to drive me crazy when I was young that my parents could never talk about anyone without mentioning where they went to school. It's just part of the culture; credentials really matter. That's not to say that you can't go to a "no name" undergraduate school and then aim for a more prestigious name for graduate schools but, if the big names are within reach, there's definitely added value in your situation.

Research positions aren't dime a dozen. I think it's pretty common to use the connections you make during graduate school to participate in research projects as a research assistant and then transition into a post-doc position. You'll be choosing your graduate school with this in mind, but keep in mind that so will everyone else who have the same career aspirations. By then, no one's going to care what you got on your ACT/SAT or which colleges you got into.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2andmom2and 2731 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,748 Senior Member
    My advice would be to take a gap year and apply more widely for fall 2017 rather than pay 50% for Hofstra. It is a perfectly fine school, but nowhere near the caliber of the Ivys you got admitted to. If you are that good of a student, there are better US schools that may give you merit money. However, from what I understand, international financial aid is not the same as US financial aid.

What about the British school? Is that a good school?
    · Reply · Share
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 14270 replies297 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    English is the OP's 2nd language, so I think we can cut him a little slack. His English is for sure much better than my Hindi.

Did the OP state his/her 1st language is Hindu? More likely than not, the OP was educated in English.

· Reply · Share
  • bodanglesbodangles 8628 replies557 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    My Indian friend's first language is Bengali, second English, and third Hindi. OP could have any combination of those or other languages, in any order. I'm sure that's not the same for everyone and it's a moot point anyway. Giving advice is possible without debating how acceptable OP's writing style is (based on degree of foreign-ness!) or making sly comments about intelligence and grades.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathyonemathyone 4191 replies34 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,225 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    It's relevant because it's going to have a significant impact on the OP's grades at Princeton or Yale. I think it would be less of an issue at a more focused school like Kings College. Would you suggest that a kid who struggles with math attend MIT?

I would suggest that no matter which school the OP chooses, it might be helpful to work on writing skills somehow over the summer.
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP 16183 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,184 Senior Member
    As OP is seeking an advice based on the personal experiences, I have to mention that my D's experience was NOT similar. My D. did not apply to any Elite college despite the push of her GC. He was persistent since she was graduating at the top of her private HS. She did not care as she did not care much later at college for her pre-med advisor push either. She decided to apply only to colleges that she knew would offer her large Merit scholarship and she ended up attending on full tuition Merit. Her wise decision paid off for her, since after not paying for her UG, we picked up the tab for her medical school and she graduated loan free.
    I would like to mention though that we just share our experiences, so OP should not take our personal experiences as a direct advice. OP needs to decide alone and not let anybody push this very personal decision in one way or another.
    · Reply · Share
  • lvvcsflvvcsf 2274 replies57 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,331 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    The degree wouldn't be a waste. If you end up being full pay than perhaps one could argue that there would be money wasted, as a nursing degree from an Ivy league school probably wouldn't make you more employable than a nursing degree from anywhere else. It would certainly provide you a different environment than say a state school.
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • bodanglesbodangles 8628 replies557 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    Just more excuses to lord it over the OP, mathyone. What's that thing posters always tell other students entering college? "They wouldn't have admitted you if they didn't think you could do the work"?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity