Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

BYU - So Upsetting Reading/Watching This

Replies to: BYU - So Upsetting Reading/Watching This

• partyof5partyof5 Registered User Posts: 2,674 Senior Member
    I saw this yesterday, it was heartbreaking!
  • NotVerySmartNotVerySmart Registered User Posts: 1,670 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    Let's prevent sexual assault by expelling rape victims for being under the influence. Ugh.

There's hardly a detail in that story that doesn't disgust me. I hope the Department of Education takes notice.
  • MazeArtCrewMazeArtCrew Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    I hope that their enrollment plummets.
  • HannaHanna Registered User Posts: 14,905 Senior Member
    Appalling. Amnesty rules protecting students who call emergency help for a peer in distress have saved many lives. A school that takes safety seriously must do the same for students who seek help for themselves. Honor codes and moral rules at private schools are fine, but there needs to be some sanity and compassion in the way it's enforced.
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,774 Senior Member
    @mazeArtCrew "I hope that their enrollment plummets."

It won't hurt enrollment at all because close to 100% of the student body is LDS. They will privately see this as an external threat to the Church and BYU that requires circling the wagons and defending both.

I agree that BYU has the right to do virtually whatever they wish to do at a private school and in the name of religion. Students agree to that when they attend, but why do public schools participate in activities with a school that does not treat women equally and rarely accepts non-LDS students? BYU has a right to these behaviors, but playing them at football or basketball gives tacit approval to these behaviors. Why are Michigan State and UCLA agreeing to play football this year against a school that would find almost all of the students in MSU and UCLAs student bodies to be unacceptable because they are not LDS, and does not treat women as equals? To me agreeing to play them is just a wink that says that misogyny and bigotry are fine with you.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 16,678 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    In the absence of much information I'm with BYU on this one also. If she was doing drugs, she was breaking the BYU rules. The rape is a separate issue and she can afford herself of the criminal justice system if she has a grievance regarding that issue. She is being punished not for the alleged sexual assault but for breaking the rules she knew about before enrolling in BYU. BYU can also investigate the person she accused and may very well have, but again we have biased reporting. I am not opposed to colleges and universities upholding both their individual rules as well as local criminal codes. Many sexual assaults happen because both parties were drinking and underage. One can only ask, would the alleged crime have occurred if both underage students were not drinking? It would be unjust to hold only one party accountable to a stricter measure or to ignore one party's participation in illegal activity separate from any other grievance they have. And again we have a young woman who declined criminal investigation and "tried" to resolve her issues with only the college knowing full well she violated the rules to begin with. There are separate issues here and little detail. BUT and it's a big "but" I do not think colleges should proceed with investigations and without the cooperation of an accuser and the second "but" is if kids aren't supposed to be drinking and having sex and decide to enroll at a college that says that is a no-no then they alone are responsible for abiding by those rules or accepting or fighting the consequences depending on the circumstances.

I'm not in favor of granting immunity. That is way to close to protectionism and special class for my taste. If you haven't broken the rules you don't need immunity.
  • northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 3,417 Senior Member
    I'm guessing that BYU expelled the guys involved with this incident within minutes of the victim's report. Something the press reports don't say anything about. Since their conduct would have been an outrageous violation of the BYU Honor Code. Because of their aggressive enforcement of their Honor Code, BYU doesn't need to worry about consent as a defense or title ix burdens of proof and procedures when it comes to dealing with sexual misbehaviors.

Which makes this story (and its likely misleading reporting slant) quite ironic. If you are a sexual assault victim, BYU is probably the best school in the country for being able to get your attacker expelled quickly and easily.

But your own misdeeds can be the subject of discipline too...
  • OttermaOtterma Registered User Posts: 1,529 Senior Member
    edited April 2016
    @momofthreeboys - It's not just young women who are potential rape victims at colleges. Immunity should be given to victims of violent crimes simply as a practical matter.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,728 Senior Member
  • Much2learnMuch2learn Registered User Posts: 4,774 Senior Member
    No BYU does not have any credibility in dealing with sexual misconduct. The male administrators are all hypocrites, and The Honor Code is a farce. The administrators throw students out for masturbation. They do that in spite of the fact that they know they did it, and they know that well over 90% of the male students there are doing it. Sadly, they use the Honor Code to throw out the rare kid who is honest enough to tell the truth. The vast majority of the students lie, and that is fine, so it is really more of a Dishonor Code.
This discussion has been closed.