Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Racist comments from a male senior, what should we do?

Replies to: Racist comments from a male senior, what should we do?

• oldmom4896oldmom4896 Registered User Posts: 4,065 Senior Member
    albert69, I assume you are male? You might feel differently about the guy you know if you were female.
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Registered User Posts: 6,228 Senior Member
    I think your H's suggestion of contacting the LAC is a bit over the top. Perhaps this person made the comment in jest - although I agree it is not humorous. Lot's of "joksters" out there making inappropriate political comments in the name of Trump. If the comment upset your D I would suggest to her that she report it to the appropriate person at her high school.
  • slk1022slk1022 Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    I would tell him how his comments hurt your feelings, and ask for a sincere apology. Absent an apology, tell him you plan to send a letter to his future school. This type of thing falls into "he said/she said," but now schools have systems in place to collect anonymous reports of racism, sexual assault, etc. So if his behavior continues (and it will if no one ever stands up to him), the school will be more likely to believe the next person that complains.

Honestly, I hope you scare him enough, get the apology you deserve, and teach him a life-long lesson.

Good luck!
  • kchenddskchendds Registered User Posts: 306 Member
    @awcntdb I think you misunderstood the whole thing. First my daughter is against Trump and not actively against Trump. She doesn't do anything in public to voice herself. She told us. She is actively involved in politics by reading articles and following the news. She will not go all out to say things to hurt people to get her point. And this guy just said something hurtful by attacking another person. I think it is very different.

You are right and I think she is hurt probably she sees him as a friend but I am sure it is only 20% of it by knowing my daughter.
  • PNWedwonkPNWedwonk Registered User Posts: 475 Member
    And I would also have a conversation with her about friendships, toxic people, etc. She doesn't need to continue to have contact with him. She can surround herself with people who lift her up, not put her down.

I agree with this.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,614 Senior Member
    kchendds wrote:
    I am from Hong Kong and my husband was born in the USA. My child is citizen by naturalization because she was born in Hong Kong

Persons born to US citizen parents outside of the US may be US citizens from birth, without need to naturalize.
    https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-child-born-abroad.html
    edited May 2016
    Just crossed my mind a comment he made about females. This guy once had a crush on my daughter and he posted something on a social media and wowed everybody.

I don't remember word for word but something like is :

"Do we put a chain on our girl like we do to our dog if you don't want them to run away?"

I guess he's a sexist too lol
  • fractalmstrfractalmstr Registered User Posts: 2,283 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    With that being said, most kids are pretty ignorant and emotional when it comes to politics, and this particular kid is no different. His comment was uncalled for, IMO.

Post edited by fallenchemist on
    edited May 2016
    @ucbalumnus but we got her citizenship through that route, Anyway she is a citizen so I think it doesn't really matter now.

Or maybe because I wasn't born in the US that makes a difference? Idk
  • PNWedwonkPNWedwonk Registered User Posts: 475 Member
    I hope this kid is going to Oberlin. They will teach him a new way of looking at the world! Heck 3/4s of the LACs would chew him up and spit him out socially.
  • albert69albert69 Registered User Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    ^ That shouldn't.
This discussion has been closed.