right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Racist comments from a male senior, what should we do?

Replies to: Racist comments from a male senior, what should we do?

• PNWedwonkPNWedwonk 451 replies24 threads Member
    And I would also have a conversation with her about friendships, toxic people, etc. She doesn't need to continue to have contact with him. She can surround herself with people who lift her up, not put her down.

I agree with this.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 82788 replies738 threads Senior Member
    kchendds wrote:
    I am from Hong Kong and my husband was born in the USA. My child is citizen by naturalization because she was born in Hong Kong

Persons born to US citizen parents outside of the US may be US citizens from birth, without need to naturalize.
    https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/citizenship-child-born-abroad.html
    · Reply · Share
  • kchenddskchendds 264 replies42 threads Member
    edited May 2016
    Just crossed my mind a comment he made about females. This guy once had a crush on my daughter and he posted something on a social media and wowed everybody.

I don't remember word for word but something like is :

"Do we put a chain on our girl like we do to our dog if you don't want them to run away?"

I guess he's a sexist too lol
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • fractalmstrfractalmstr 2269 replies14 threads Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    With that being said, most kids are pretty ignorant and emotional when it comes to politics, and this particular kid is no different. His comment was uncalled for, IMO.

edited June 2016
    Post edited by fallenchemist on
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 2016
    @ucbalumnus but we got her citizenship through that route, Anyway she is a citizen so I think it doesn't really matter now.

Or maybe because I wasn't born in the US that makes a difference? Idk
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
    I hope this kid is going to Oberlin. They will teach him a new way of looking at the world! Heck 3/4s of the LACs would chew him up and spit him out socially.
    · Reply · Share
  • albert69albert69 3191 replies56 threads Senior Member
    ^ That shouldn't.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threads Senior Member
    Oh, I would totally tell her to talk to the administration. Could result in discipline of some kind that has to be reported to his college, too. Don't let him get away with it.
    · Reply · Share
    @PNWedwonk he's going to Pomona that he once said it's not even safety worthy but he ED'd
    · Reply · Share
  • tutumom2001tutumom2001 1218 replies3 threads Senior Member
    If he's about to graduate, your daughter can shrug it off, and there will be little to no contact with him after a few days, I would let it go. I would have a different opinion if they were younger, there was a pattern to his behavior and your daughter (or others) felt threatened or unsafe.
    · Reply · Share
    @albert69 was that to my previous post?
    · Reply · Share
  • dyiu13dyiu13 2811 replies55 threads Senior Member
    It might have already been mentioned, but this is likely a violation of the high school's bullying policy and student code of conduct re hositility and might also violate civil rights. Daughter could report it to principal and guidance counselor, not the college. She would need proof, of he denies it.
    · Reply · Share
  • albert69albert69 3191 replies56 threads Senior Member
    @kchendds Yes, sorry for the cross post.
    · Reply · Share
  • gouf78gouf78 7813 replies23 threads Senior Member
    "If the comment upset your D I would suggest to her that she report it to the appropriate person at her high school"

The appropriate person would be the guy "friend" who wrote it.
    Confront him directly. Ask why he wrote it. Just jerky? Got a problem? Thought it was funny? What?
    There will always be jerks in the world both intentional and unintentional.
    · Reply · Share
  • GoNoles85GoNoles85 730 replies51 threads Member
    I haven't read or scanned the other replies. Here is my $.02. You might tell your daughter to drop the guy as a friend like a hot potato. That is one simple option. Or, she can take a chance on educating him. Most hatred is based on ignorance. He is young. Teach or show him how wrong he is to hate foreigners and blame all of our countries problems in them. Foreign countries have labor cost advantages we can't compete with so it really doesn't matter who you D's friend votes for those manufacturing jobs are not coming back. We have to compete with productivity gains, technology and so forth. Since the guy and your D are graduating you might just tell her to ignore him, why stress over it really.
    · Reply · Share
    He may want to rethink his college choice, take a gap year:
    Since 1972, 65%-98% of Pomona and Pitzer students have favored the Democratic ticket in Presidential elections, 24-52 points more than the general public, and 16-52 points higher than CMC students.” Even though we are only taking a look at one specific factor, presidential elections, these numbers do highlight an important point about the political diversity we see on the campuses. With CMC gaining more liberal students while maintaining a presence of conservative-minded students, an argument can be made about an, if not rich, at least identifiable contrast in political preferences on campus. On the other hand, with such a strong left-leaning population, upward to 98% for students, on campuses like Pomona and Pitzer, and a faculty with no registered Republicans, the notion of political diversity is completely out of the question.

http://claremontindependent.com/whos-the-fairest-of-them-all/

In 2012 (most recent year) 92% of Pomona students favored the Democratic ticket. (See figure 2 in above cite.)
    · Reply · Share
  • 2muchquan2muchquan 1998 replies32 threads Senior Member
    It sounds like this guy has a history of being a jerk. But, did he say it with a smirk on his face? Do you know the context of the comment? I think it's much ado about nothing. The guy was trying to be funny. Guys are stupid. Don't give him an audience.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity