right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Racist comments from a male senior, what should we do?

Replies to: Racist comments from a male senior, what should we do?

• ProudpatriotProudpatriot 1538 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What he said is unpleasant but not illegal. I would encourage your daughter to stand up to his ugly words.
    · Reply · Share
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 14268 replies297 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I don't think it's funny either, but it's not remotely criminal.

Some people find the Onion offensive. Other people find religious jokes offensive. Witness the violence in Europe over some cartoons about Mohammed.

The dad should let his young adult daughter fight her own battles. And the daughter should pick her battles.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12871 replies242 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^ this. Also, even if it does rise to that level, OP's D may not wish to pursue it because school is almost over, she doesn't care that much, the kid will get what he deserves at some point soon anyway, she doesn't think the school will be supportive, she'd prefer to learn to handle him herself...any number of things.

But lacking a sense of humor about it isn't one of them. IMO.
    · Reply · Share
  • coolweathercoolweather 5878 replies82 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    This guy once had a crush on my daughter and he posted something on a social media and wowed everybody.

This boy's behavior is bad and hurting. Is he really racist? He is a quarter Spanish and had a crush on your D. How did the altercation start?
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21122 replies219 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Sounds like the earlier incidents should have been addressed by your daughter as not being acceptable and this kid should have been dropped as a "friend" long ago. It's not too late for her to speak up for herself but it would have been better if she and her classmates had called him out long ago.
    · Reply · Share
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 6200 replies28 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @GMT I think each family might have their own individual approach to these things. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to respond to a perceived insult. I could see a minority family who might have been on the receiving end of these sorts of comments in the past wanting to come down hard in response. And if the same comment was directed at your child it might just roll off their back.
    · Reply · Share
  • carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys 6895 replies223 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    "Do we put a chain on our girl like we do to our dog if you don't want them to run away?"
    While his deportation statement is totally inappropriate , this one posted on social media , I find way more alarming.
    · Reply · Share
  • MichiganGeorgiaMichiganGeorgia 4389 replies85 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I think your DD should just ignore it and move on. True he sounds like a jerk however most likely this guy is just trying to get a reaction out of your DD. It's hard to say if this kid is racist or just stupid.
    · Reply · Share
  • albert69albert69 3191 replies56 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Stupid is as stupid does.
    · Reply · Share
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 6200 replies28 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    I think her D did attempt to fight her own battles. OP stated upthread:
    D has confronted him and he didn't care. He said he will never get in trouble no matter what.

And there is no mention of her D asking OP to "fix" this for her.
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • awcntdbawcntdb 3553 replies0 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    And there is no mention of her D asking OP to "fix" this for her.

So what is the point of the thread, if the D has not asked for something to be done?

If I were another student's college and a parent contacted me with this stuff, I would be thinking, "Gees, can't this kid handle something this minor. Thank God that kid is not coming to my school, as I would have to deal with the parents and not the student. Nothing, but trouble."
    · Reply · Share
  • CCDD14CCDD14 1082 replies2 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I wonder how the OP's daughter confronted him? Promised to report him to the school's administration?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity