Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Racist comments from a male senior, what should we do?

kchenddskchendds Registered User Posts: 306 Member
edited May 2016 in Parents Forum
Daughter just texted me about a friend said something really mean to her and she is extremely upset. The guy is known for racist for a while.

"XX just told me that he hopes that Trump will deport me and I should go back to my country"

Should we report it and take actions or just drop it? Both students are top students and both are going to different top LAC. They are both very intelligent and obviously it is not just a casual joke if my daughter has such reaction. My husband is furious about this for some reason and I am not mad.

What is your opinion on this?

Replies to: Racist comments from a male senior, what should we do?

• kchenddskchendds Registered User Posts: 306 Member
    edited May 2016
    @ucbalumnus He has said things in class but he never personally attacked someone like this as far as we know.
  • PNWedwonkPNWedwonk Registered User Posts: 475 Member
    You said he was a "friend." Is that true? If so, she needs to talk to him very directly and say that what he said was hurtful and inappropriate. He needs to know that he is being an idiot.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,633 Senior Member
    Would it be correct to assume that overt racism is socially acceptable in this high school and community?
    @PNWedwonk they are kind of friends because they are in many classes together. She has brought it up many times and he said he is not a racist. He denies it. He once said he hates all Hispanics but he claimed himself one and got some scholarship.
  • mom23travelersmom23travelers Registered User Posts: 487 Member
    Something very similar to this happened at the elementary school I work at. The parent was called and the student sent home for the rest of the day.

I would follow your daughter's lead on this. If she wants to make an issue of it, support her. If she doesn't, let it go. Help her think through the possible consequences of those choices.
    @ucbalumnus That's why I am not affected but husband is really upset and he wants to let the top LAC know they are taking a kid with this mentality. I am not from this country originally and that's why I am not sure what is correct to say and what's not in hs.
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Registered User Posts: 19,508 Senior Member
    Did he say this in class in front of a teacher?
    @ucbalumnus He's only 1/4 Hispanic I guess or less. He's a hypocrite.
    @Youdon'tsay I think he just said it to her
    edited May 2016
    @albert69 I am from Hong Kong and my husband was born in the USA. My child is citizen by naturalization because she was born in Hong Kong
This discussion has been closed.