right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Senior Yr Schedule

2»

Replies to: Senior Yr Schedule

• yikesyikesyikesyikes 9 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Thanks for the answers, all!
    · Reply · Share
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom 12386 replies534 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,920 Senior Member
    "f you've taken AP Lang and Lit I don't think you'll have an issue."
    Agreed.
    If you have taken the most rigorous English classes at your HS you are fine.
    there are NO prizes awarded for having taken the most AP Classes .
    Colleges want you to take rigorous classes as well as the classes you are interested in taking in preparation for college, simply because college classes are HARDER than HS AP classes.
    · Reply · Share
  • MarianMarian 13163 replies83 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,246 Senior Member
    Why not simply ask the colleges you are interested in applying to? It's true that pretty much every college requires four years of English in high school (some might not count that 8th grade year, even if it's on your transcript) but if you've maxed out on English at your school, they may be fine with that. So ask them!

If you're uncomfortable with this, send a few emails to colleges that you're not interested in applying to first. Pick colleges that are similar in selectivity to the ones you would like to attend but unacceptable for some reason (size, religious affiliation, location, whatever). You will probably learn that you will receive a polite and helpful answer. And then you will feel comfortable posing the question to the colleges you actually care about.
    · Reply · Share
  • eandesmomeandesmom 3793 replies20 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,813 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    Is there a creative writing option for English? As a Poly Sci major that would be far more beneficial than AP Chem unless you need that as a graduation requirement.
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • 2collegewego2collegewego 2615 replies95 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,710 Senior Member
    Look carefully at your catalog. There may be some one-semester electives you can combine. My kids' school offered Creative Writing and Humanities. Back in the day, my high school offered one-semester classes in British Lit, Bible as a Lit, American Lit and Shakespeare.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 8848 replies473 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,321 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    If the 8th grade English class is in fact a high school class, you should be fine, but ask your Gc at school. You seems like a strong candidate, and four APs plus physics is plenty rigorous. Barring the English issue, I wouldn't change anything. I like that you are taking ceramics and model UN.
    edited May 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • yikesyikesyikesyikes 9 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Thank you all for your advice. I am going to email a few colleges (as an anxious student, I really appreciate your method, @Marian) and make sure they are on board, and hopefully I can just leave it as is. :) There's isn't a creative writing option but there are semester long classes like speech, but taking those would jumble up the rest of my schedule, so, if possible, I am just keeping it as is. The 8th grade class is considered an high school class at my school and I know students who didn't take English senior b/c of it. And I'm really looking forward to taking those two in particular! :) @lindagaf
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity