Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do athletes who apply ED to a LAC pay full fare?

Moonshot99Moonshot99 Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
I realize that much of a LAC's accepted ED group consists of athletes. Do these athletes pay full fare (like I expect most non-athletes who are accepted ED probably do)?

Replies to: Do athletes who apply ED to a LAC pay full fare?

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 43,612 Super Moderator
    Most LAC's are NCAA D3 schools, which do not have athletic scholarships. Athletes, however, are eligible for need-based aid, just like everyone else,
  • OnTheBubbleOnTheBubble Registered User Posts: 807 Member
    edited May 2016
    I think if you had hard data you would find no correlation between ED and the percentage of students receiving financial aid or the award size. Just so you know, ED is not binding if the student doesn't like the financial package and can easily opt out. So, there is no reason for ED to attract only those with the means to pay the full amount.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 76,042 Senior Member
    If it were me...and my kid was being recruited by a D3 school...and I needed aid...I wouldmtskemtime college for an early read on my financial aid.

Keep in mind also, the financial aid for the 2017-2018 school year will be based on 2015 tax year information, plus assets. It won't be hard for schools to give you an early read. Ask.
  • OnTheBubbleOnTheBubble Registered User Posts: 807 Member
    edited May 2016
    Yep just ask. The people in financial aid are not very stressed out during the summer when athletes are doing pre-reads.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 12,654 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    I don't think, at the top need-blind LAC's, ability to pay matters at all in admissions, in ED or otherwise.

Though note that many sports (crew, lacrosse, skiing, tennis, golf, even baseball at the college level) attract a high-SES or at least middle-class demographic.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 3,959 Senior Member
    Run the NPCs for specific schools using '15 tax returns, to get a sense of what financial aid might look like. After July 1, before senior year, most of the D3s asked for admissions pre-read info and offered financial pre-read as well. For schools which award merit aid, admissions (usually in the post-interview, "mom/dad, do you have any questions" conversation), suggested the merit range that he'd likely be competitive for as an applicant.
This discussion has been closed.