right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

How an industry helps Chinese students cheat their way into and through U.S. colleges

Replies to: How an industry helps Chinese students cheat their way into and through U.S. colleges

• Gator88NEGator88NE 6396 replies195 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,591 Senior Member
    ^^^Anyone parking an expensive car at the local high school's "parking lot/demolition derby" is CRAZY. Just saying.... 8-|
    · Reply · Share
  • OberynOberyn 301 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 301 Member
    @sylvan8798
    Sweet stereotype you put there!

Have you considered confounding factors such as significantly less regulations for road conditions, automobile safety, seat belts, etc. in China? You're comparing apples and oranges.
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6626 replies139 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,765 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    ^Actually, I read a study on that subject sometime in the past year. The governing factor seemed to be that the overall experience level was a lot less.

ETA: Not sure what stereotype you are referring to.
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • californiaaacaliforniaaa 1868 replies47 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,915 Senior Member
    Does anyone know, where you sign up for the "cheating industry"? (joke). I am sure that it is much cheaper than the $40,000 that the top college admission consultants are charging in US.
    · Reply · Share
  • eiholieiholi 296 replies16 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 312 Member
    edited June 2016
    @californiaaa The difference between the two is more like running a marathon race in which the cheater rides in a car most the way while the 40k kid trains with a team of coaches. I have no experience in either as my kids are more like poor Africans (hopefully good ones).
    edited June 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 54621 replies2834 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57,455 Senior Member
    Agree with Eiholi. While $40K packaging isn't the best thing to do, it's a far cry from blatant lying, cheating and having someone else do your work for you.
    · Reply · Share
  • CCDD14CCDD14 1082 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,084 Senior Member
    I would be very surprised if 40K packages do not come with multiple essays "services" included.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 54621 replies2834 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 57,455 Senior Member
    Those companies self select top students whose resume/grades/scores make them very strong candidates and have a higher probability of acceptance into top schools. They don't take on people who do not speak the language and write everything for them. Well, there is one very expensive west coast guy whose ethics are questionable, but I conveniently forget his name.
    · Reply · Share
  • CaliDad2020CaliDad2020 1009 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,012 Senior Member
    @CCDD14 I don't think they come with a transcript from a different high school however. At least not that I've heard of. Or do they give the answers to the SAT you are about to take.

There are, of course, cheating scams in the US - some athletes that took the ACT and were told to leave any hard answers blank - and those got mysteriously filled in correctly, for instance.

But problem is how to detect the blatant fraud. Perhaps a post-admit review of docs (since there is rarely time in the admissions process) and expulsion for anyone caught cheating. That might clean it up a bit. But few schools will put their resources toward something like that.
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6626 replies139 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,765 Senior Member
    There are, of course, cheating scams in the US - some athletes that took the ACT and were told to leave any hard answers blank - and those got mysteriously filled in correctly, for instance.
    It would seem possible that they could make an algorithm to detect the probability of getting certain problems correct when others are not.
    · Reply · Share
  • CaliDad2020CaliDad2020 1009 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,012 Senior Member
    @sylvan8798 I would expect there are a good number of ways to catch cheaters. I recall they caught either the Chicago or Georgia(?) teachers who bubbled in for their kids, because the easy answers were missed fairly randomly, but the hard answers were all the same.

My guess is our good friends at SAT/AP inc. don't want to spend the money - heck, they don't want to spend the money on new tests, which is the main way the tests get jobbed in Asia now anyway.

But the cheating seems to include also essays, phony transcripts, phony or edited rec. letters. I would think if the schools spot-checked questionable or incongruous applications and tossed out fraudsters, it would have a bit of a wet-blanket effect, but if I was a college I'm not sure I'd want to put my limited resources to that kind of enforcement. I'd probably figure - they're in, the check cleared, if they can't cut it, they'll fail.

Then I can spend my time teaching. I used to think it was unfair that some schools require full test reporting. I now think that should be the norm: take an ACT or SAT and every school you apply to gets all scores. Then it's much harder to job the system by multiple testing, tutors or cheating.

But more importantly, test scores should get less weight in admissions. They are no better predictors than GPA with an eye to rigor. They are just easier to look at.
    · Reply · Share
  • Gator88NEGator88NE 6396 replies195 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,591 Senior Member
    The universities reported 5.1 cases of alleged cheating for every 100 international students in the 2014-15 academic year, versus one case for every 100 domestic students.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2016/06/06/colleges-see-more-cheating-foreign-students

The article links to a WSJ article that does require a subscription. Still, we now have some numbers...
    · Reply · Share
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad 4583 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,602 Senior Member
    The article links to a WSJ article that does require a subscription. Still, we now have some numbers...
    This is not cheating: use Google News to read the article.
    · Reply · Share
    The WSJ article is about cheating by international students at US schools.

I only read a summary, and it doesn't mention cheating on applications. It is a study of cheating of the students once here. Some instances include a "lost ID scam" reportedly used a UC Irvine so "ringers" could take a test.

I will note that the study states "reports of alleged cheating" so these are not confirmed instances. Still 5 to 1 is a pretty wide gulf in reporting and certainly bears serious investigation.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity